Shutter Speed Fast On T1i In Video Mode??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)
HD from Nikon D90, other still photo cams (except EOS 5D Mk. II, LUMIX GH1).

Old September 21st, 2009, 06:23 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Shutter Speed Fast On T1i In Video Mode???

Seems like the shutter speed on the T1i is set high when I'm recording video.

Example: Game On(Dominos) on Vimeo

When I hit the ISO to check the shutter setting is shows between 50 - 60 depending on the exposure. I'm not getting smooth motion. What gives?? I'm thinking it's the class 4 SD card i'm using.. Would that mess the way footage is recorded? Insight please
Gerald Baillgergeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2009, 09:40 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Gerald,

I don't own a T1,

but just downloaded your original video. I think it looks great! I wouldn't worry about anything. This is just the nature of shooting progressive as opposed to interlaced field. I noticed your video is at 24fps, so this will not have as smooth motion as 30fps.

But did you shoot it at 1920x1080, because the T1 shoots 20fps, otherwise at 1280x720 it shoots at 30fps. That could be it, I doubt it's 20fps but then again, I liked what I saw!

I don't think your SDHC card is the problem in this given situation.

Anyhow, I think it looks really good, nice editing, nice light, nice flow and on top of that it was shot with a T1!

Rob

Last edited by Robert St-Onge; September 22nd, 2009 at 06:17 AM.
Robert St-Onge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2009, 10:48 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald Baillgergeau View Post
Seems like the shutter speed on the T1i is set high when I'm recording video.

Example: Game On(Dominos) on Vimeo

When I hit the ISO to check the shutter setting is shows between 50 - 60 depending on the exposure. I'm not getting smooth motion. What gives?? I'm thinking it's the class 4 SD card i'm using.. Would that mess the way footage is recorded? Insight please
It looks like the T1i tries to keep the shutter at somewhere around 50-60 in bright light as much as possible so that's not high, it will slow it down considerably as necessary in real low light.

The motion looked OK to me as I played it from vimeo but you should tell us what settings you used. Vimeo converts everything to 1280x720 from what I hear and if you shot it at 1920x1080 that's at 20fps and anything with much motion could lack smoothness of motion.

On SD cards, do not take seriously anyone who tells you it doesn't matter. Canon specifically advises Class (6) for video and even more specifically Canon Tech support is often advising SanDisk Extreme III (which is Class (6) as the T1i can also be brand sensitive. There was one case where a T1i owner tried 3 Kingston Class (6) cards that could not keep up with the camera. A buffer bar would appear on the LCD, fill up, and the recording mode would shut down. He was losing video.

I think you got lucky. But sooner or later you may run into buffer over run.

So don't take a chance on Class (4) cards. My Class (4) cards stay packed with my HF100's which are real happy with them.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2009, 09:06 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I shot 1280x720, adjusted the exposure depending on the angle I was shooting from and used manual Nikon lenses. BUT I forgot to mention that I did convert the footage to 24p in Cinema Tools to achieve a bit of a slow motion effect.. I'm gonna kick out a version @ the original frame rate(30) and see if there's a difference.
Gerald Baillgergeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2009, 12:57 PM   #5
Major Player

Watching it on Vimeo, I didn't see any stuttering problems. I liked the short. Make more!

You'll get yourself a feedback loop going, so you can see cause and effect better.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 09:28 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald Baillgergeau View Post
I shot 1280x720, adjusted the exposure depending on the angle I was shooting from and used manual Nikon lenses. BUT I forgot to mention that I did convert the footage to 24p in Cinema Tools to achieve a bit of a slow motion effect.. I'm gonna kick out a version @ the original frame rate(30) and see if there's a difference.
24p can very easily be the cause of a bit of "stuttery" motion. 24fps was the motion picture film standard because it was the best compromise between a fast enough frame rate for persistence of vision to operate and yet provide film consumption economy. 48fps would give much smoother rendition but doubled the consumption rate so 24fps became the standard.

Now a lot of folks "chase" this 24p "will-o-the wisp" because they are convinced 24p has this "magic" quality that will make their video look "film like". If they have their minds made up that is the way they will percieve it.

On my Canon HF 100's I try to use 30p for most of what I do these days. Motion looks fairly smooth and I get the "film" look by using the Cine mode with it's gamma curve that tends to favor tones the way film stocks often render them, there seems to be an expanded dynamic range but due to lower contrast, brightness, color depth, and sharpness this mode can look a little flat. So I add a touch of contrast, brightness, and sharpness which "snaps it up" a bit but without getting back to the "video look".

This treatment gives me footage that lets me edit in T1i footage that seems to "blend in".
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)