T1i vs GH1 - which makes more sense? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)
HD from Nikon D90, other still photo cams (except EOS 5D Mk. II, LUMIX GH1).

Old October 18th, 2009, 12:09 AM   #16
Major Player

I've used my GH1 for two weddings so far. Unfortunately I'm still delivering in SD and using my vx-2000 as my main camera for the ceremony since I can zoom with it easily and know how to work the audio on it. For the reception I'm using the gh1 with a 50 1.4 as the main camera, hv-30 with a .5 wide angle as my B camera, and VX-2000 with a .55x as my C camera.
Eric Stemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 07:48 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Can the exposure, iso and shutter be locked in movie mode before you begin recording on the T1?
Robert St-Onge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 07:31 PM   #18
Trustee

Yes.

However unless you are using one of the aperture control "workarounds" all parameters are set automatically by the camera. F stop, aperture, and ISO. If using one of the manual aperture "workarounds" the camera sets shutter and ISO to try for correct exposure based on the light coming through the lens.

To then "lock" exposure, whether allowing full auto or using one of the "workarounds", press the ISO button. Then as you pan around exposure will not change to accomodate changes in lighting. To "bias" locked exposure hold the AV button down while you turn the control wheel on top, the exposure indicator in the viewfinder will show how far you've gone. You have two stops in either direction.

To change the "locked" exposure point the camera at the area you wish to effect a "new lock" on and press the ISO button again.

To see what your aperture and shutter are at any time, light pressure on the shutter release will cause those settings to appear in the lower left of the viewfinder.

Hope this info helps answer your questions.

If you need info on the "workarounds" mentioned above, do a search for "T1i" and "DOF". I have 2 threads in this forum with video examples.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 08:19 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Thanks so much Bruce for all the info!

This is great since you do have control over the auto modes.

I was also wondering how is the aliasing on the T1 at 720p?

How does it compare to a 7D at 720p and 1080p?

Rob
Robert St-Onge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2009, 08:20 PM   #20
Trustee

Robert said: "This is great since you do have control over the auto modes."

I replied: Being able to "lock" and "bias" exposure is only partial control. Video on the T1i has only one mode, full auto. If you use a manual lens (such as Nikkor AI-S with an adapter) you can set the aperture but ISO and shutter are still auto with no direct manual control. You can still affect the amount of light coming in with ND filters and thereby have an effect on shutter and ISO.

The same is true if you use the "unlock lens mount button, hold DOF prevue in, and twist lens slightly until F stop on the LCD is 00" method to set aperture with a Canon EF or EF-S lens.

Robert: "I was also wondering how is the aliasing on the T1 at 720p?"

Me: I haven't really noticed any. Colors and tones look very clean to me, and I am intercutting 720p out of the T1i with 1920x1080 30p in Cine mode from the HF100 with good results.

Robert: "How does it compare to a 7D at 720p and 1080p?"

Me: I don't use 1080p in the T1i due to the 20fps frame rate. Motion can look "stuttery, and I don't use 720p in the 7D because I use its 1080p at 30fps. With the 7D 1080p footage displays very solid tonal values and that to me gives it more of a film like look.

I like the looks of the output from both cameras.

Hope this helps.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)