Sony NEX-5 onboard footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)
HD from Nikon D90, other still photo cams (except EOS 5D Mk. II, LUMIX GH1).

Old July 19th, 2010, 05:55 PM   #1
Trustee

Sony NEX-5 onboard footage

Hello all, I'm back.

YouTube - Sony NEX-5 onboard footage #2

I'm posting some photos, too.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=136504506380845

Last edited by Kaku Ito; July 19th, 2010 at 07:45 PM.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2010, 10:57 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Very interested in seeing what this camera can do, particularly since the VG10 has been announced, using the same sensor and lenses in a video camera format. Liked that bike footage, sorta scary, but cool angle and overall looked pretty good.

Unfortunately all the other footage I looked at on YouTube looked severely amateur-ish at best. Very much like to see what someone with some professional skills can get from this camera, and get your hands on take of both stills and video. I'm sure lots of others here would like to know as well since the VG10 is generating a lot of buzz!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2010, 11:17 PM   #3
Trustee

The real problem of this camera is the moire in the wide angle. My clip is so shaky so don't notice much, but I get really disappointed in NEX-5 is that aspect. I got it to just test and study how it is and not thinking to rely on this camera much but lacking 24p, the auto gain kicks in even in the manual mode, etc., it's good to see the technology Sony shows off but not really packaged well for the movies.

On the other hand, I think I'm enjoying the still features especially the swing panorama mode that I don't have to photoshop stills to make wide angle just for fun!
Old July 19th, 2010, 11:27 PM   #4
Trustee

And want to add that I tried to shoot something decent with the hand held, but the moire is so terrible, it is embarrassing to post them. You will see some decent ones coming from me soon. Just like the old time, but with more experiences after several years :).
Old July 22nd, 2010, 07:37 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Bummer to hear about the moire - seems like both moire and stairstep artifacts come with the package when using a hybrid (still camera with video). I've noticed both with my P&S Sonys that shoot 1080 AVCHD - mostly the stairstepping artifacts.

Since Sony should be releasing several more cameras in DSLR and other formats, I was hoping to hear they had licked the issues. The just announced VG10 is of particular interest, but it's based heavily off of the NEX5.

I thought the bike footage was rather good considering, but I was too busy dodging things flying towards the camera to notice too many flaws aside from the occaisional jiggle the OIS couldn't quite take out!

How would you rate the stills overall? Is it close enough to DSLR quality to pass muster? I know the features like HDR, twilight, panorama and so on are showing up al the way from the P&S line to the high end Alphas, and are nifty, but image quality is always the main consideration. I already find myself using the DSC-TX7 for my knockabout camera, but it's not a DSLR...
Old July 23rd, 2010, 09:18 AM   #6
Trustee

I'm actually liking it as still camera because of all of the features you mentioned, and more sensitivity than EOS Rebel. For the knockabout, it really shines.

Did you check my facebook link? I have photos uploaded there.
Old August 4th, 2010, 02:38 PM   #7
Space Hipster

I'm considering getting the VG10. I have little experience with DSLRs, so the moire effect - is that the slight strobing look when you see the white lines at the crosswalks? I hope the video camera will eliminate any artifacts present in hybrid DSLRs. If not, how do you work around moire effects?
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2010, 06:00 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I think that the moire/stairstep artifacts are what has kept me standing back waiting on the sidelines...

I don't know why there seems to be a problem with cameras using a still sensor, I do know I've seen the issue with my small point and shoots that do video. In most situations it's not that bad, but once you notice it, it's a distraction.

I too hope the VG10 does a more "video camera-like" image, but we will just have to see. From what I've read the NEX5 video is a bit less than stellar, but samples don't look "too" bad from what I've seen.
Old August 4th, 2010, 06:15 PM   #9
Trustee

The issue is the still sensors being higher res than the HD video format and they have to crunch it down in resolution. Canon XLH1 had the same issue actually. Resizing RED ONE 4K footage down to SD often shows but RED can do different levels of debayer to avoid it. Resizing technics like Adobe Photoshop is needed to fix in case of already bayered image I think.
Old August 13th, 2010, 07:26 AM   #10
Major Player

Just got a NEX-5 with a 16mm. It's the ultimate point-n-shoot still camera... great in low light; no shutter lag, good color. It's a decent camera crippled by stupid consumer menus and controls. I'm waiting for Leica adapter to put good lenses on it.

Just wanted to note to anyone searching for info on this camera, that it does have exposure compensation in video mode. No manual controls on video, but from looking at clips around the web, I assumed it didn't even have exposure compensation - everything I've seen was blown out. But yes, you can get the exposure in the ballpark with the plus or minus controls.

Handheld is completely unusable - it's a bouncy little thing. Audio is terrible.

It totally rocks in low light.
Chuck Fadely is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)