LCD Monitors? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)

Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)
HD from Nikon D90, other still photo cams (except EOS 5D Mk. II, LUMIX GH1).

Old October 25th, 2010, 08:58 AM   #1
Regular Crew

LCD Monitors?

I had some questions about using external LCD Monitors on a DSLR.

1) How important is it to have an external monitor while shooting?

2) Are there any affordable options? Say under 500?
Lee Tamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2010, 10:51 AM   #2
Major Player

The short answers:

1) It's important to see what you're doing. Monitors are one way, magnifiers are another.

2) Yes there are.

The longer answers:

1) in the old days, TV sets maxed out at around 36 inches without projection. Nowadays that's around half the max size available everywhere.
Back then autofocus kinda sorta worked. Now, most probably not. Now you really have to check
focus on something bigger than a camera LCD because when someone watches it on a 120" monitor,
what seemed okay on the dinkie is probably not.

2) at least an LCD magnifier/hood loupe to get the tiny LCD in back of your camera so you can see if it's really sharp, or just pretending. Even dedicated video cameras with the focus assists only help you so far - again, in the old days, you'd turn the focus until the edges were outlined in red or blue or purple or whatever your focus assist/edge detect software did in camera, and you were done.

Today, you are fired because what seemed perfectly sharp in the little monitor - isn't. That's one of the real reasons we have those video villages around the shooting sets these days - the DPs don't trust the little monitors in the cameras - or rather, the 1st AC/focus pullers don't. They want to check sharpness on a bigger screen.

Personally I have a 1900x1200 24" monitor that I always bring with me, even on set, especially if I'm shooting DSLRs.

The longest answers:
One thing people tend to forget - those old days I was talking about? Not more than 600 days ago. The standards changed over early this year, in the US, and the big big screens that are as sharp as the little ones were? They're still coming, and getting bigger every year.

The lens resolutions have always been sharper than the unaided eye can discern. The sensors are behind the lens designs in raw resolving power, but catching up. The TV sets and projectors have been way behind them, but now they're bigger, and so now the weakest link in the chain is the LCDs in the cameras. Even though there are monitors in cameras that I would trust (for example, the one in my EX1), mainly I don't trust the ones in my D90 or 7D. Mainly because the optical viewing system used when taking stills (much better than all the electronics combined still) is only available when you're shooting stills - when you hit that live view / video mode switch, all that optical excellence in the viewfinder side of things goes away when the mirror flips up. So the autofocus does its own thing and most pros don't trust it. They want to pull focus manually - but the LCD in back of the camera doesn't allow you to do that properly because the pros have at least two people working the camera - one to pull focus. So the focus puller can't be looking at the same hood-magnified screen as the camera operator. So pro camera DSLR crews use external camera monitors.

HTH
JM2c, YMMV
Cheers!
Chris

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)