Point and Shoot / SLR Video + Wireless Mic? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)
HD from Nikon D90, other still photo cams (except EOS 5D Mk. II, LUMIX GH1).

Old August 15th, 2011, 10:01 AM   #1
New Boot

Point and Shoot / SLR Video + Wireless Mic?

I need some help.

I am a fishing guide who shoots 100% outside. Our business has grown and we are doing some filming this year which will be aired on local stations in Texas.

Question.

We are searching for the right digital camera (point and shoot or SLR) that takes video, but also has the wireless mic capability.

I'm looking for something light that will mount on my console, rugged and can take light rain / boat srpay.

I know the order is tall, but wanted to get some suggestions. I looked at the Nikon 5100, but thought it was large and heavy for my application. Plus, it seemed pricy.

Also, can someone recommend some good wireless mics w/ excellent wind screens?
Michael Littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2011, 11:03 AM   #2
New Boot

Re: Point and Shoot / SLR Video + Wireless Mic?

After doing some research on the forum, i'm seriously considering going w/ a shotgun mic mounted on the camera vs. the wireless mic.
Old August 15th, 2011, 11:06 AM   #3
New Boot

What is a good windscreen for the shotgun mic?
Old August 15th, 2011, 01:39 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Depending on whether you're dealing with salt or fresh water, you probably should be thinking a camera that is at least somewhat ruggedized/water resistant, and that would mean any mic port would be a weak point where you might get water incursion/camera failure... Anytime you want to mix water and electronics, you're either going to need to protect or replace the electronics regularly, moreso if it's salt water, due to ease of corrosion setting in...

Perhaps think about a separate mic system & sync in post - something that many wedding video guys use is a small digital recorder with a lav mic on the "talent".

You don't suggest a budget, but I've got a Sony DSC-TX10 that takes pretty darn good HD (1080i) video, it's small and ruggedized (water resistant down to 16 ft.), with a simple clamp pod, it could go virtually anywhere. Roughly 30 minute clip length, passable audio (plenty good for sync in post, maybe more depending on wind conditions), auto functions seem to do a pretty good ob of nailing the shots, you might even be able to get a couple of them considering the price point.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2011, 08:45 PM   #5
New Boot

I have the sony's brother, Olympus Tough 610...love it and it shoots 1080p. Problem is, the audio, just like on any camera like that isn't that good.
Michael Littlejohn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)