Sony slt repair? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)
HD from Nikon D90, other still photo cams (except EOS 5D Mk. II, LUMIX GH1).

Old April 27th, 2013, 03:44 PM   #1
Major Player

Sony slt repair?

The hdmi out on my Sony a99 doesn't work. I've emailed Sony but haven't gotten a response. Does anyone know where in the Los Angeles tea I could get this looked at/repaired?
Betsy Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2013, 03:36 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Sony slt repair?

If it's under warranty, all Sony goes through their TX repair shop - you can get the # on the Sony site and call to set up the repair. That output is likely on the mainboard, so hopefully still under warranty if it went bad.

Have you done a bit of checking to see if it's a bad cable or something other than the camera? I know I just ordered in some cables for another Sony cam I've got, and every single one of them had a manufacturing defect so they only connected when wiggled "just so"... cables are a "first stop" on troubleshooting signal issues, as they tend to fail and take more abuse.

Other quick "repair guy" questions - did the HDMI ever work? Any possibility it is a setting on either end of the equation that has been changed, causing the "fail"? I've experienced some odd behaviors between my cable box and TV (just ONE of the TV's), finally had to go to component cable, as I couldn't figure out why the sound would keep cutting out... when I swapped boxes to check if that was the source of the problem, the picture on another TV reformatted, I still don't think it's quite right!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2013, 12:48 PM   #3
Major Player

Re: Sony slt repair?

Dear Dave,

So I finally got it to work after having tried everything else by going online and downloading the new firmware update for the (abysmal in video mode) autofocus to take advantage of more lenses. I was afraid that maybe this wasn't a full firmware reboot, that maybe it just wrote over one section of the camera's os but thankfully it wrote over the whole camera program and voila, the hdmi out works again.

I suggest everyone with an a99 get the firmware update, whether or not they use the lenses in question. I suspect Sony knows there were some bugs in the earlier version and just didn't want it to get out.

Thanks so much for replying Dave:)
Betsy Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)