Westside A V A7s Cage and shoulder kit now in production at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)

Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)
HD from Nikon D90, other still photo cams (except EOS 5D Mk. II, LUMIX GH1).

Old February 9th, 2015, 07:51 AM   #1
Sponsor: Westside AV

Westside A V A7s Cage and shoulder kit now in production

This is version 5 of my kit for the A7s I finally have a nice light balanced kit here. It took a long time and I really resisted going to a complete cage solution, but it is what works the best. This kit is very light and minimalist but rugged and I like using the built in VF. It works great with the shoulder support and all the controls are easily accessed. The wood handle makes the camera much more comfortable to hold. I will post more pictures later this week of the camera on the shoulder, and I am making a demo video.

There will be 15mm rail kit added soon. There is also a Metabones clamp included not shown in these photos.

This is a prototype just painted black the final version will be black anodized and the Shoulder part comes off with out tools in seconds.

Every control on the camera is accessible and all the doors work. I will also have a HDMI clamp on the left upright. The top part of the cage is actually a very comfortable handle, I will make a forward/rearward handle as well, but I was surprised how comfortable the top of the cage is as a handle. Holding that in your left hand and the shoulder brace in the right makes a really nice steady low angle shooting rig with the built in LCD tilted up.

Shown here with Arca Swiss QR but any QR will work. I am making these Arca components now and I am stocking the clamps as well.

The basic kit including shoulder brace will be $300.00 Monitor bracket and battery plates will be extra.

As soon as Sharyn has them on the store I will add a link here. If you are in a rush you can contact me directly for early delivery. I will have them back from the anodizer on this week.

The wood handle makes it really easy to grip the A7s, I felt the camera was too small to be comfortable in the hand. It also moves your hand forward a bit so it becomes more natural to push the rec trigger with your thumb. All the wheels and top trigger are in easy reach the cage does not get in the way. The design of the cage and handle was tricky to get just right. Keeping it strong, light and not in the way of any controls or doors, it took a lot of prototyping, I used my 3D printer to mock up different versions until I had one that is comfortable and allows access to everything, yet as small as possible.

This handle is Cherry and I only oil it with Danish teak oil, that makes it really nice to the touch, and it will age gracefully like any tool handle from the oil on your skin, not plasticky like a heavily varnished or polyurethaned handle. I will have options for different woods as well, but cherry is very nice and ages beautifully.
Attached Thumbnails
Westside A V A7s Cage and shoulder kit now in production-picture-1.jpg   Westside A V A7s Cage and shoulder kit now in production-picture-6.jpg  

Westside A V A7s Cage and shoulder kit now in production-picture-7.jpg   Westside A V A7s Cage and shoulder kit now in production-picture-11.jpg  

Westside A V A7s Cage and shoulder kit now in production-picture-16.jpg   Westside A V A7s Cage and shoulder kit now in production-picture-21.jpg  

Westside A V A7s Cage and shoulder kit now in production-picture-22.jpg   Westside A V A7s Cage and shoulder kit now in production-picture-24.jpg  

Old February 12th, 2015, 11:09 AM   #2
Wrangler

Re: Westside A V A7s Cage and shoulder kit now in production

Well done Olof!
Old July 9th, 2015, 11:39 AM   #3
Trustee

Re: Westside A V A7s Cage and shoulder kit now in production

Good job. I am wondering about the A7MkII. Would this rig work for that or do you plan another version?

(PS I like the Cherry wood look and feel!!!)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)