Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old August 1st, 2007, 04:16 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Awesome idea... thanks!
Dale Backus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2007, 04:18 PM   #17
Major Player

Sure, I don't know that it'll be a 100% fix, but it should help somewhat. At least to lower the chances of bugs in the shot. The winter months should be fine but I imagine you'll want to do this another time if it's feasible. :)
Eric Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2007, 08:28 PM   #18
Major Player

Dale - FYI the honda generators are definitely great, BUT no small putt-putt genny can reliably handle its rated load constantly. For a 3000 watt honda genny, figure a 1.2K will run reliably, and you may be able to run 2 sometimes (rarely). The difference between that genny and that same model rented from a film-specific rental house can be pretty drastic - oftentimes they modify the windings to deliver max power on a single leg, or split and balanced power over 2 legs... They also mod the intake, fuel lines and control circuits to stay within tolerance to 60hz. Just know that the watts rating should be taken as... a sales spec more than an actual rating.
Jaron Berman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 05:59 AM   #19
Trustee

I'm pretty sure someone around here was running a 1.2K HMI off a Honda EU2000i generator (search on the generator name). You definitely don't want to approach the maximum rated load, but 60% should be fine. I've used the EU1000i an it is VERY quiet for a generator but I would recommend the 2000W model.

I use fluorescent lights, large deep-cycle marine batteries, and power inverters to get 120V. I have yet to do a large scene, but I did a two-person shot on the beach with this setup once.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 03:10 PM   #20
Trustee

Just some different thinking...

Knowing nothing about your script this might be totally off base but can you motivate the light by having your characters start a big campfire and feed/leave it burning?

Or what about taking a Coleman lantern or something similar along? Then the audience will EXPECT that as the light source.

When your audience expects a lightsource, particularly an "organic" one like a fire or lantern, it solves the problem of the darkness of the forrest, and you can pretty easily simulate it in the studio for close ups keeping your field shoot time down.

Just alternative thinking.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 04:35 PM   #21
Trustee

If you can use Bill's suggestion, you can get away with much less "moonlight" as you only need accents here and there. Put a daylight-balanced light on some background and a kicker/hairlight on the actors and you get enough blue accents. This would avoid the need for a huge daylight source up on a crane.

Also, propane lanterns make an interesting production when they are fired up. They also make a subtle hissing sound that could be used during quiet moments to add tension.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2007, 11:28 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Backus View Post
I'm going to be shooting a feature early next year that will take place pretty much 99% outdoors in the woods at night.

How would you recommend shooting something like this? We're thinkin about this issue now, so we can become proficient before it comes time to shoot...

Would you get a generator and use Incandescents?
Figure out a way to get the power company to hook power up to the site (this is just a theory, haven't actually researched the possibility of this yet)
LED's or Fluorescents on Batteries?

What would the best set up be for efficiency, quality, and cost saving?

Also, what technique would you use to light something like this? We were thinkin using strong lights and reflectors to light the subjects (actors) and use another light or two just to light the background enough to establish the location. Any pointers?

Thanks so much

Dale
I would look at a generator with LEDs
Chris Klidonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2007, 11:33 AM   #23
Major Player

Marcus is right about those lanterns, although the hissing sound is pretty noticable on the audio track. The light they put out is interesting though. It's got very subtle variations in it (much more subtle than you could get from a flicker box) that give a little organic property to the light. Almost like it's breathing. I don't know what the color temp or CRI of gas fired lanterns might be, but it's certainly not in any sort of normal range. Despite that, we used them exclusively to light a creepy scene in an abandoned bunker, and they were just the ticket.
Ralph Keyser is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management