Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old August 12th, 2007, 07:55 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davis View Post
Yeah, now that you've posted that you've got a crossbar you're happy with, it's just a matter of supporting it.

I think I'd start out with 3 medium duty tall light stands, and just buy 3 Mafer Clamps (aka Bogen Super Clamps) to hold it.

The Mafers have a lockdown stand receiver that would mount to any light stand and keep the clamp part horizontal - then just clamp the flagpole across the stands. The clamps would keep the flagpole from spinning.
Bill, this works very well. Thanks for the suggestion. The only problem is that the feet on the middle stand protrude into the stretched fabric. But I think a C-stand plus a magic arm with a clamp on the end ought to give it the right distance (I've yet to try this).
Patricia Lamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2007, 09:55 PM   #17
Trustee

Now that I recall, I did use a grip head and a 5/8" rod to prop up my background in the center so the legs wouldn't protrude.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2007, 09:46 PM   #18
Major Player

Two Hi roller stands, a couple of speed rail ears, three in-line (straight) speedrail couplers and four (4) six foot sections of 1 1/4 inch speedrail.

That should do the trick. All can be rented.

Use #2, or #3 spring clamps to hold the muslin to the speedrail.

I see people talking about mafer clamps, those aren't good for holding pipe, as the jaws are too narrow and have too much rubber padding. Cardellinis, or Matthellinis hold much better. Or use something like a Cheeseborough, found in theatrical supply stores, rental houses. Manfrotto have a good line of clamps similar to cheeseboroughs.

You are best to use a larger stand, like a combo stand, or a Hi roller and a 4 1/2 inch griphead, with the afore mentioned speedrail, that way none of that sh*t's goin' anywhere.

If you've got dancers dancing on it, you'll want to tape the front and sides down. You'l need the heavier duty set up if you've got people dancing on the drop. that will prevent injury and lawsuits.

Even better is if you can rent a studio with a hard cyc and light it interestingly, or paint it. That way you've got tons of room and the dancers can do whatever, just keep them out of the cove (curve). Often that bit is delicate and a foot through the cove is expensive.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management