DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old August 20th, 2007, 08:41 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony HVL-20DW2 Help/Problem

I have the above mentioned light from Sony. I have an unusual problem that I think I read someone on this board had, but haven't been able to find the thread for it. My problem is that sometimes, if I turn off the light and then try to turn it back on, it doesn't work...simply will not turn on. I have found, and so had the previous poster with the same problem, that I must place the battery (Sony NP-F970) on the charger, even for just a second or two, and then replace it back onto the light and it works. This happens with the battery at any charge level, from full to nearly dead....I have 3 said batteries and they all do the same thing. Anyone else have this problem, and have any idea why it does this? Is it a light problem or a battery problem?
Old September 11th, 2007, 09:14 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Jason,
The problem/flaw is that the draw is too high for the infolithium batteries. The internal fuse is being tripped and simply placing it on the charger for a few seconds re-sets the fuse.
Anything over an 18w draw for the L series can cause issues...however what Sony has done is ramp up the wattage to 20w (or so) so you don't have an instant drain of 20w the light dims up so it will be really warm color temp for a second before it hits the full wattage.
Doesn't mean there isn't a problem with your unit but basically it sounds like the fuse is being tripped. Does the issue happen when you only have the setting to 10w?
Brian Broz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 10:00 AM   #3
Regular Crew

It happens for both wattage levels...sorry for the long delay in response

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management