Hard Case Idea? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old August 27th, 2007, 08:06 PM   #1
Major Player

Hard Case Idea?

I am looking for a Hard Case to keep all my lights and stands in. I want something to protect them from banging around in the back of a van / truck and also when I travel.

I was wondering what some of you guys use, and see if y'all had any ideas for me.

My light kit includes:
Arri 650 w/ Avenger Midi-Max Kit Stand
Lowel DP 1000 w/ Avenger Midi-Max Kit Stand
Arri 150 w/ Hollywood Century C Stand w/ Grip Arm (super heavy stand!)
42" Circular Reflector w/ Avenger Midi Kit Stand

I was thinking about something like this:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...u=71511&is=REG
Oliver Darden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 10:10 AM   #2
Inner Circle

That's a great case - friends have a rental biz here, and the arri cases have stood up to the abuses of the rental market for years.

Couple thoughts - I don't think this case will accomodate a c-stand.

Airlines now charge $25-??? (depends on the airline) for any piece over 50Lbs. The Arri kit that fits in that case was about 74Lbs. If you do a lot of air travel you can send your lights ahead, rent locally, develop a lighter kit, or pay the penalty charges.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 10:40 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Bloombaum View Post
That's a great case - friends have a rental biz here, and the arri cases have stood up to the abuses of the rental market for years.
What keeps the lights themselves from banging around in there little areas inside the case. I doubt my Arri 150 will fill up a "cubby hole" enough to keep it from moving around.

Thanks Seth
Old August 28th, 2007, 11:19 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Recently bought a new arri kit at a local college, with 2 150w. They're set up in grey foam, nicely cut for the lights. Not sure if your empty case will come with foam - didn't see it in the picture.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 10:51 AM   #5
Inner Circle

For my lights and accessories, I went with a Pelican case and the divider kit that went with it. This let me create custom partitions for my gear. It's also something you can change as you change gear.

For stands, I went with SKB rail pack cases and spent a Saturday with contact cement and a sleeping bag pad I picked up at a camping store. The pad gives you some dense foam that you can cut and fit to line the case. I also built a shaped foam compartment to hold some smaller stuff.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 01:34 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest House View Post
For my lights and accessories, I went with a Pelican case
I forgot about those cases. Good idea.

Thanks!
Old September 8th, 2007, 01:56 PM   #7
Major Player

The key to packing is to be sure that things are snugly packed, i.e. if everything is jammed in there and nothing moves, you are good to go. If the compartment for the 150 is too big, put a stinger in there too, or some Duvetyne, or whatever. Just fill the whole case with the things you need to light with. You can jam a lot of crap into those cases. Putting things in cheapo bags and wraps helps cushion them From bumps and each other, inside the case.

I like the Lightware stand bags for my C+ Stands. The Matthews C+ Stands have a removable base, which and breaks down nicely for travel. Three stands to a bag. Take the gobo head and arm off, separate the base and in they go. There are a couple of different size sacks, but the C6150 is the longest and will take the C stand risers. See below.

Really nice Lightware bags and cases:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/shop/4...tand_Bags.html

Cheaper Stand bags that are great for use in the car and truck:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...tand_Sack.html

I don't work for Lightware, but I love their stuff.

Having a Magliner, folding handtruck, or cart is the best way to move all your steel and lights. Not to mention all your sandbags.

More cases: The Pelican 1700 Case is also good. I don't know how many C stands you can fit in there, but at least two. Check also: SKB, Hardigg and Stormcase. You can also get custom cases made by Anvil, Calzone, Cabbage Case, Fiberbilt, Halliburton.
Old September 17th, 2007, 09:48 PM   #8
New Boot

Another hard case option

I wanted to throw another hard case into the mix.

HPRC cases are new to the US market from Italy. They're about 20% lighter than the Pelican equivalent..

www.hprc-usa.com

See the large "trunk" size AMRE 2800W model

http://hprc-usa.com/2800.htm

Last edited by Garrett Lewis; September 17th, 2007 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Need to add photo
Garrett Lewis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management