Backdrops: Rod Pocket vs Clamps at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old December 6th, 2007, 05:02 PM   #1
New Boot

Backdrops: Rod Pocket vs Clamps

So, I find myself likely in need of a good-sized greenscreen backdrop and possibly black and white as well. Many options in this arena give me a headache which I'm not yet ready to ask about, but one minor point especially pricks at me:

How do you more experienced folks feel about hanging your muslins with clamps vs a rod pocket?

In my shopping I find different sellers appear to adhere strongly to hocking their wares one way or the other.
Leigh L Pang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2007, 08:52 PM   #2
Trustee

The key is....

How LONG a span do you need to cover?

If you're doing a background for a single or a two shot, you're probably OK with clamps since the weight of the fabric won't be too much for a short span and you can probably hold the background pretty taught with clamps.

But no theater I've ever been around would hang a flat backdrop with anything other than continuous pipe support.

Even cheesy school photographers use portable stand and "pipe" background rigs to get a wrinkle-free seamless look.

Curtains on close spaced chains, fine. You WANT them to drape. But not backdrops.

If I'm understanding you.

In a nutshell, if you want it to DRAPE, clamps are cool.

If you want a smooth background - pipe provides MUCH better support.

FWIW
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2007, 08:55 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks for the reply, Bill. While I can imagine all the issues, I needed that bit of practical use insight. I shall look to rod pockets, as I figure if needed, they can always be clamped for draping.

At this point, I'm looking at getting 9'x12', but I can imagine needing 12' wide in the future.
Leigh L Pang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management