Barn Door Mods for Home Depot Style 500w Lights at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old December 24th, 2007, 07:54 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Barn Door Mods for Home Depot Style 500w Lights

Before I go to the trouble of designing barn doors for 500watt garage lights, I thought I would ask if anyone has done this already and has a design already worked out.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2007, 11:40 AM   #2
Inner Circle

yes , there is a guy on this forum advertising for such thing, made in china, cost around $30
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2007, 12:08 PM   #3
Major Player

Here's your link...

http://www.coollights.biz/clbd4-halo...door-p-36.html

Hope this helps...

Kevin
Old December 24th, 2007, 12:09 PM   #4
Major Player

Oh, if your looking for the DIY solution...

http://www.coollights.biz/free-clbd4...late-p-48.html

Kevin
Old December 24th, 2007, 08:10 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Thank you for your time and trouble. I thought that somebody would have arrived at a solution which was better than my Glad cooking tray method of using a box knife to make temporary horizontal flaps in the base of one, vertical flaps in the bottom of the other, then folding the tops over the wire grilles and stacking one over the other and using alfoil over any remaining light leaks.

The home depot style lights require a few changes to the fasteners before they pan and tilt satisfactorily, principally, longer lateral bolts, flat washers between friction faces, a three layer sandwich stack of flat and spring washers or real heavyduty coil springs to maintain a friction which endures and a nylok nut over each square nut to keep things from coming loose.

"Life was never meant to be easy, but son, do you really have to work so diligently at making it so hard for yourself."

Last edited by Bob Hart; December 24th, 2007 at 08:14 PM. Reason: added text
Old December 24th, 2007, 10:25 PM   #6
Major Player

Here's a video showing the process:

http://www.coollights.biz/wordpress/archives/21

As Kevin pointed out, you can either do it all yourself using the resources on the site or just buy our kit.
Richard Andrewski - Cool Lights USA - RED #114
http://www.coollights.biz
Richard Andrewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2007, 03:52 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Richard.

Thanks for your added information.

Where I was going with my own design was to have the barn doors hinged onto a removable perimeter frame.

This frame would fix to the front opening frame of the lamp house by sliding down from above on rear folded vertical "C"-sections with limit folds on the upper ends to stop the thing from sliding right down and off again.

My impression from the images is that your arrangement permanently affixes hinges to the front opening frame which retains the wire grid and safety glass. Is my impression correct or have I got it wrong as I am known to do from time to time?

The two styles of lamps are of similar dimensions, close in design and style and a one-size-fits-all vertical sliding frame should work for both.

Last edited by Bob Hart; December 25th, 2007 at 03:54 AM. Reason: errors
Old December 25th, 2007, 03:27 PM   #8
Major Player

also... a roll of black cinefoil goes a long way.
Christopher Witz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2007, 11:46 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hart View Post
Richard.

Thanks for your added information.

Where I was going with my own design was to have the barn doors hinged onto a removable perimeter frame.

This frame would fix to the front opening frame of the lamp house by sliding down from above on rear folded vertical "C"-sections with limit folds on the upper ends to stop the thing from sliding right down and off again.

My impression from the images is that your arrangement permanently affixes hinges to the front opening frame which retains the wire grid and safety glass. Is my impression correct or have I got it wrong as I am known to do from time to time?

The two styles of lamps are of similar dimensions, close in design and style and a one-size-fits-all vertical sliding frame should work for both.
Yes, thats right they affix permanently in my scheme. It would be quite a bit more work to make the removable frame type. The most common design in that type of removable barndoor is a 1/8" (or so) wire, bent into the shape of the face of the worklight (rectangular mostly). Then the barndoor leaves are attached to that with copper or other metal straps and tightened down to where they move in a "sticky" fashion. This is the most commonly seen type of barndoor on modern fresnels for instance.
Richard Andrewski - Cool Lights USA - RED #114
http://www.coollights.biz
Richard Andrewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2008, 03:14 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Richard.

Thanks again for your responsive info posted here and on the Cool Lights website.

I have had a bit of a play with cardboard patterns and arrived at a generic slide-on arrangement for the two styles of worklights.

The downside compared with your arrangement is it needs three different barn door profiles for four doors. If the groundlevel model of the worklights is ignored, one can get away with two profiles for R/L sides and upper/lower.

It is all sheetmetal cut and fold, thin bolts and flatwasher/springwasher three-layer sandwiches for friction hinges, no bent thin rod or wire material used.

All up, five sheetmetal pieces plus fasteners.

If you want scans of the templates, please let me know via dininfo email and I will do them as .jpg files.

Last edited by Bob Hart; January 6th, 2008 at 03:16 AM. Reason: errors
Bob Hart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management