Using LED Stage Lights for Video Lighting - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old January 17th, 2008, 07:20 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Bill....thanks for taking the time to write the article. Very informative information on the product.

Jon Haskell
Jon R. Haskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2008, 02:30 AM   #17
Major Player

Richard's lights are so nice and he has posted a lot of information on this board. I would really try to go with his stuff. You know you will be getting a quality product. I just received my lights today from him. All I will say right now is that his products are premium.
Eric Stemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 10:07 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Walker View Post
Richard,

Are there other differences with the lesser quality LEDs than color temperature matching?

For example, are the lesser quality LEDs:
1. Less durable
2. Shorter life
3. More harsh
4. Other difference?

I guess the the question is about the units that are listed at 5600 and 3200. Is the great difference in price do because of differences in the LEDs other than color temperature, or is the difference in price solely due to reasons (construction, mark-up, advertising budget, etc.) other than the LEDs used?

Thanks for any insight!
Hi Jack,

Could be all 4 of those criteria or only one. That's the hit or miss nature of LEDs. You really have to deal with a serious factory to find some good ones that have been well sorted out, higher quality, etc. Its one reason I've delayed a bit on making a panel as I want to find a good factory over in Asia which is where most of the world's LEDs are coming from anyway.

On your second question, I would say all of that is possible. Some price markup may be due to the "sorted" nature of the LEDs but also some is always just the discretion of an individual company as to what they feel they need to make a profit and keep running. One may decide they need to sell a product for $399 and another may feel $199 would give adequate profit to stay in business. Still another may need to sell it for $999. Every company has their own overhead level that must be supported and their products will reflect that.

Remember too, that much of the stage and studio lighting world operates off of dealer networks. These middle men require a cut to be interested in selling the products and supporting them. There will be a wholesale price that is designed to interest these dealers and then they will markup to something close to a "suggested retail price" or discounted version. All of this plays a part in making the price what it is. Its all about controlling the entire product from beginning to end, starting with the cost of parts and continuing on with keeping the number of transportation steps from parts to finished product down to a minimum. Keeping the number of hands it passes through to a minumum too. Personally, I try to buy parts near the factories where they are assembled to keep the freight costs down. We then try to minimize the times we transport the final product too. Every transport step adds another level of cost. You'd be surprised how much the average product gets transported during its life cycle and how big a part of the cost it really is.

I will say that when I started my prototype project for an LED panel, I decided the price would probably be $199 for the base unit without battery and that would give us adequate profit to support it. Of course things can change, we can learn more information during the development process but that was the target price for such a panel, in the 25w range and with dimmer. I could have sold the Lishuai LED panel that flolights is offering but as usual, I prefer to control the product from start to finish so I can also control the final price that I offer. When you just buy a panel from another manufactuer and sell it, you control nothing really; so you offer the markup you need to justify selling the off-the-shelf product.

There are a couple of things lacking to make that panel a real product. We still have to come up with a good fixture housing for it and when that's finished we'll no more about the target price. Right now, I am considering a tiny version of our portable flo's using the same plastic we use there which is a polycarbonate and very tough.

Batteries and other options would add an appropriate markup to that base price too and we haven't found the good battery/recharger system that has the watt/hours to support a 25w panel like the one I have. It will most likely be a lithium ion battery though--something small and light. This would not be considered an on-camera light, I would think of it as more of a "light stand" type light. I'm including a picture of our prototype below. That's the stage its in right now. You can see the dimmer circuit on the side. Its the standard type dimmer for use with LEDs with a special something "extra" that no one else is doing. ;-)
Attached Thumbnails
Using LED Stage Lights for Video Lighting-ourledpanelcm.jpg  
Richard Andrewski - Cool Lights USA - RED #114
http://www.coollights.biz
Richard Andrewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 10:15 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Stemen View Post
Richard's lights are so nice and he has posted a lot of information on this board. I would really try to go with his stuff. You know you will be getting a quality product. I just received my lights today from him. All I will say right now is that his products are premium.
Hi Eric!

Glad to hear you got up and running okay. Did you find you needed the operations manual or was it a pretty intuitive setup?
Richard Andrewski - Cool Lights USA - RED #114
http://www.coollights.biz
Richard Andrewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 01:46 PM   #20
Wrangler

For the original poster, Colorblasts are not cheap either, you'll pay about $1000 for one of those, PLUS you have to have an external DMX controller to control it. Not really practical for on camera use, and barely practical for other use.
Old January 20th, 2008, 03:47 PM   #21
Major Player

Thanks for the reply Richard. The Manual was nice. I read both of them although setup was very straightforward even if I would have not used the manual. The lights seem to work good for photos also.

Here's a self portrait attached of me with the 4 bank fluorescent and 150W HMI as key and background lighting.

I'm going to send you an e-mail in around a week and give some feedback on the lights once I have played around with them a little more.
Attached Thumbnails
Using LED Stage Lights for Video Lighting-me.jpg  
Eric Stemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 04:18 PM   #22
Trustee

Its interesting that headaches was mentioned. I just replaced 4 overhead "cool white" fluoresent tubes in our company lunch room with 4 -7000k cool white led tube lights. This is an experiment to see how people like them and any other effects. I won't get into the positives of LED lighting but the "claims" are astounding as far as energy conservation.
Fluoresents are normally associated with some folks getting migraines due to the flicker. LEDs T8,10 and 12 tubes on the otherhand have no flicker and are instant on since you wire them to bypass the exisiting fluoresent light fixture ballast. What I found after just 2 days of observation is that about 10% of the staff started noticing a slight headache after 20 minutes exposure. Very odd. I am replacing the 7000k tubes with 5000k warmer tubes next week to see if there is any difference.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2010, 05:03 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Rozenberg View Post
Those are nice bill, and not that expensive at all. To bad that Flolight does not export to Europe since the manufacture restrictions are more strict over here, from what they told me @ this years NAB.
Actually I would think that it is their own policy. They are owned by Prompter People. The owner of Prompter People charges European Customers who have to buy through the European Stores almost the double price from the US... Their explanation is .. well.. you know shipping and customs... - riiiight.... A 1'499 USD Prompter sells here for about 3'140 USD (converted back to USD)... Oh and if you get one from the states (for that price I can take a nice little trip and still be cheaper) they will not service it in Europe!
Oliver Neubert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2010, 08:45 AM   #24
Trustee

I have some disco LED lights and they are very colourful for effects, I was also going to get one of these and see what the colour temp is:WARM WHITE LED PAR 64 FLOOR CAN - UPLIGHTER/STAGE LIGHT on eBay (end time 31-Jan-10 10:36:58 GMT)
Old January 17th, 2010, 09:39 PM   #25
New Boot

ebay....

What about the 500 and 1000 led units showing up on Ebay anyone tried them?
Old January 19th, 2010, 08:04 PM   #26
Trustee

Last week I did a stage show in which these RGB disco LED lights were used. RGB LEDs= white light daylight. The light itself looked ok, but watch out for the shadows... you'll have magenta, yellow, and cyan fringes on the edge of every shadow that looks really funky.
http://colorkinetics.com/ls/rgb/colorblast12tr/
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management