DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old June 25th, 2003, 07:25 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Lights Suggestions For Nightclub Interviews

Hello, I use a sony vx-2000 and i have a cheesy small little 3 or 4 watt light (smallest mounted light sony offers) that i use. I mainly use my camera in very dark nightclubs to do interviews. I notice that the light seems to tunnel in on the subject like a police helicopter search light on cops. Does anybody have suggestions for me? I would like to light both subjects of course fully and not have the light just focus on the face and leave the body dark. Thanks for your time.
Old June 25th, 2003, 07:42 PM   #2
Wrangler

Tape a little bit of diffusing fabric over the light. Even frosty scotch tape will help. For a permanent fix, sandpaper the lens with a fine paper. Maybe 400 grit.

You could probably use a slightly stronger light to good effect. Maybe a 10 or 20 watt. They are fairly inexpensive. The Sony version even runs off a separate camera battery.
Old June 25th, 2003, 10:19 PM   #3
Regular Crew

ok

thanks mike, I've seen some videographers put some kind of tape or paper over there mounted lights before. I'll try both your suggestions.
Old June 26th, 2003, 04:46 PM   #4
Wrangler

Aside from using a diffuser - Try bouncing the light off the ceiling, walls, or floor.

Lowtech: Bring a small flashlight and velcro it to the camera, then you can orient it anyway you want. In conjunction with your onboard light you can get two point lighting ... 3 point if you place your subjects in front of a light source (like the bar) to give them a backlight.

Get a leash for the flash light for when it gets crowded.
Old July 5th, 2003, 06:41 PM   #5
Regular Crew

YEP

HEY, THANKS FOR UR ADVICE--IM GOING TO TRY THE FLASHLIGHT TRICK NEXT SUNDAY AT THIS CLUB I'M BOOKED TO DO. ILL SHOW YOU THE FINISH PRODUCT.
Old July 6th, 2003, 01:31 PM   #6
New Boot

you can get a cheap china ball (battery operated) at places like peir one imports and other trendy home stores. These work great and you can easly find places in clubs to hang these near your subject. 10 to 15 bucks. The ones with chords are just as good but you will have to make sure you have power.
Old July 6th, 2003, 01:56 PM   #7
Wrangler

I second the china ball approach, I've used just that in dark bars in the past. I've never seen a DC version before (Jason, please post a link if you have one?). The nice thing is that it is very easy on the eyes of the subject, they won't squint or feel like they are being interrogated (and it gives a more natural, less "evening news" look to the photography). One way to maintain a low profile is to have a dimmer on the china ball and while you are setting up the shot or preparing the interview (if applicable) you can have the ball on a low dimmed setting, and then turn it up when you are just about to shoot. Having a helper holding the ball will give you more flexibility, in that you can position it below the camera for a stylized look (similar to reality TV shows, where they often have a softlight sitting on the center of the table in bar scenes).
Old July 6th, 2003, 03:06 PM   #8
New Boot

i dont have a link to the dc balls. I have gotten a couple of them a year or two ago at peir one. They are out there, just a matter of finding them. I have not ever tried to find them on the net before, I am almost sur eyou can though. Peir one imports will have no clue as to what your talking about unless you talkto a manager, I know they can order them if they dont have them in stock. Also somone once told me he got one at a camping store. go figure.
Old July 9th, 2003, 07:01 AM   #9
Major Player

a 12v flour perhaps?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/images/catalog/pictures-all/LargeImages/ModuleImages/27366i0.jpg

Beware ***PLUGGER-BYTES***
John Jay is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management