DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old January 25th, 2008, 03:43 AM   #1
Major Player

Suggestions for putting together a "Cool Lights" rig

Hey all,
I'm looking to put together a complete Cool Lights setup and wanted to see what everyone thought. I've never used the Cool Lights but I am impressed with the overall look of them. I'm not looking to break the bank here, but I'm not trying to go too cheap either.

Budget = +/- $2k?

Most are location shoots, which means that it would be nice if they were fairly portable.

Here's what I'm doing and what I would be using them for.

Small docu-films, mainly inside during the day

Commercials, generally confined spaces (inside offices, houses, etc.), but sometimes a bit bigger of spaces, it varies

Blue/Green Screen and lit screen work

Interviews

I guess possibly some night stuff if it ever came up, but we're usually ok on things, it's just mainly for indoor during the day.

We're using HPX500 cameras, I'm sure it doesn't make a huge difference what camera we're using, but just saying the control is there... (I just don't want anybody to say I left anything out).

We're looking for an all-around package. Maybe 5-6 lights, the CL255, 455 and 655's all look nice. They don't need to be the dimmable versions, just the mobile versions. It would also be cool to have a few of the video softbox fixtures for different things (with soft boxes of course). Many of our clients don't really know the difference, but as you know, presentation is everything, so we obviously want something that looks pretty cool.

So I guess my question to many of you: is this the way to go? We would like a solution that will work for a variety of things.

Also, do we go 3200k or 5600k? Will it matter all that much with a W/B? Which is going to be the most versitile? Or do we get both fro different applications?

BTW, we already have 5 Stands, so unless we are getting more fixtures than that, I will only need hardware to attach it to standard lighting stands.

Anyones help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Kit
Kit Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 07:01 AM   #2
Trustee

Here's a link to my setup.

http://pictureframingschool.com/letus.htm

No hairlight yet. I'll use a small hot light for that.

There's a Coollights 255 (2-tube) sitting on the floor to light the green screen. Does an awesome job.

The softbox on the right was from Richard. The one on the left I crafted from an existing SB that I had.

I highly recommend Coollights. Great company and excellent service too.
Old January 25th, 2008, 10:22 AM   #3
Major Player

Very Cool, Paul. Thanks

Can you post a list of fixtures that you have?

Thanks
Kit
Kit Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 01:25 PM   #4
Trustee

The light sitting on the floor, and providing near perfect illumination of the green screen is a CL-255 with daylight bulbs.

The two standing lights are CL-SFT1 fixtures with optional Coollight softbox (right in pic). The C-stands were bought elsewhere but Richard has some nice stands available.
Old January 25th, 2008, 02:36 PM   #5
Contributor

You can get both 5600 and 3200K fluorescents. I'd go with 3 of the 2-bulb units, and a couple of the 4-bulb units, and then one of the small HMIs.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 10:47 PM   #6
Major Player

CL-255 or CL-255P will put out about the same amount of light. After that its a matter of whether you're talking it on the road with you or just using it in a studio.
Richard Andrewski - Cool Lights USA - RED #114
http://www.coollights.biz
Richard Andrewski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management