DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   Best Inteview setting you've seen, and why (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/116040-best-inteview-setting-youve-seen-why.html)

David Hadden February 29th, 2008 02:13 PM

Best Inteview setting you've seen, and why

Alright guys, I wanna know what the best interview setting you've seen is, and why.

Tell me what you like and don't like in an interview.

What distracts you and what keeps your attention.

And it doesn't have to be the canned, "this is what you do when you interview" standards that are out there, but it certainly can be.

I just want to have a great thread resource for anyone doing interviews and think we can all learn something from everyone.

Dave

Dave Dodds February 29th, 2008 04:05 PM

I really like abstract backgrounds. Sometimes just colored lighting, sometimes interesting compositions that make a regular background seem abnormal. Of course, this all works with that elusive shallow depth of field we so often seek but can't always find.

Some of the nicest looking interview stuff I've seen was in "The Dolphin Murders," a science doc on the mysterious deaths of numerous dolphins. It was photographed by Warwick Sloss and the interviews display exactly what I mentioned above. It's really compelling stuff. I'll try to find screenshots.

Of course, that style, while really great for dramatic stuff, won't work for everything. But it's what I like.

~~Dave

Mike Barber February 29th, 2008 05:33 PM

Errol Morris' Interrotron has much to do with it, but also for the lighting and overall environment my pick is Robert McNamera in The Fog of War.

Mike Barber March 2nd, 2008 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Dodds (Post 835446)
Some of the nicest looking interview stuff I've seen was in "The Dolphin Murders," a science doc on the mysterious deaths of numerous dolphins.

I remember that doc! It was crazy! Though i can't remember the aesthetics of the interviews... it's a truly amazing topic. Quite shocking, I must say.

Chris Coulson March 2nd, 2008 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Davidson (Post 835376)

And it doesn't have to be the canned, "this is what you do when you interview" standards that are out there, but it certainly can be.

Dave

Umm, I hope this isn't too silly, but... Where can I find "this is what you do when you interview" ?

can anyone suggest a good website or book?

thanks!

Mike Barber March 2nd, 2008 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Coulson (Post 836326)
can anyone suggest a good website or book?

"Sight Sound Motion: Applied Media Aesthetics" by Herbert Zettl
"Directing: Film Techniques and Aesthetics" by Micheal Rabiger
"Cinematography" by Kris Malkiewicz and M. David Mullen, ASC

The Zettl book is what I considered required reading for anyone who aspired to direct, shoot or edit. Vital information in this book. I know it will be a resource for years and years to come.

Stephen Eastwood March 5th, 2008 08:48 PM

That Tom Cruise Scientology video had great lighting. If you ignore the subject the lighting and rim light and soft amber glow in the back was all very nice and inviting.

Rick Thornquist March 6th, 2008 11:27 AM

There's a show on the History Channel called Dogfights and I'm quite impressed with how their interviews look. The framing is nice - not too far, not too close (I'm not a big fan of the '60 Minutes' style where they are so close you can see the subject's pores) and they are quite nicely lit (in my amateur opinion). They are shot against a green screen and they've put in a background that is interesting but not distracting.

Funny, now that I'm doing video interviews, every time I see one on TV I'm more interested in the framing, lighting, etc, than the interview itself!

- Rick

Mark Bournes March 6th, 2008 01:18 PM

I'm not a fan of the 60 minutes "tight" interview style.

I like the style of the interviews on the CBS sunday morning show.