Clamp Light w/ Gel Holder & Barn Doors? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old March 24th, 2008, 11:59 PM   #1
Trustee

Clamp Light w/ Gel Holder & Barn Doors?

I'm looking for a clamp light to attach to a background to use for hair/back lighting.

I'll be using a 27W compact fluorescent bulb. Since the bulbs are not dimmable, I will sometimes be adding ND or diffusion gels. I also want to be able to control how tight the light is, which necesitates barn doors. I don't want the light to have any type of a lens.

Any lights that you feel fit the bill? I'd like to keep the cost ~$100. I don't know if that is reasonable. I know that I can get a generic home clamp light for around $10 from Home Depot--but of course no gel holder or barn doors.

Thank very much for the help.
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2008, 03:52 AM   #2
Trustee

The cheapest non-DIY lights I would recommend are the Smith-Victor 10" reflector flood lights.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Cool_10_.html

The 12" reflector models can accommodate two CFLs on a y-adapter but they are rather bulky. I have a few that can each fit (barely) in the 12-gallon stacking plastic crates. The 10" would be easier as the 12" are so large they take up the whole crate and the barn doors must go in separately.

The barn doors are extra, but you can sometimes find these lights used.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 03:00 AM   #3
Trustee

Marcus, thanks for your reply. I wound up gettint two Altman Par 38's with barndoors, gel frames and mounting studs. The whole setup cost just < $300, but I feel that it was worth it.

But thanks again ;).
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 03:13 PM   #4
Trustee

The retail price of those Altmans with the barn doors is a bit more than the SV lights I mentioned but they are probably a bit nicer. They also look a bit more professional. The only downside is that it may be hard to fit multiple fluorescent lamps inside the fixture. I assume you got yoke to baby stand adapters along with the lights.
Old April 5th, 2008, 06:39 PM   #5
Contributor

Don't those use the basic reflector lamps? If so, you would have to get a reflector type fluorescent lamp to get any decent throw out of the fixture. If you got baby stand adapters, the usual mafer clamp is the best.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 08:12 PM   #6
Trustee

Bill is right. You should at least paint the interiors white or silver to get some reflectivity. The good news is that these fixtures are probably the only good way to get some control on a CFL. I'm not absolutely sure, but I think I found the ideal CFL for these Altman cans:

http://www.naturallighting.com/web/s...on=show_detail

I believe the 65W daylight spiral is the largest that will fit. I have used one of these and it is about as bright as a 250W tungsten so it is quite useful with today's more sensitive cameras.

Darnit! Now I'm thinking of getting one of these but I don't want to spend any money right now. :P
Old April 9th, 2008, 12:57 AM   #7
Trustee

Thanks guys for all your input. I did get a yoke to baby adapter, and a pin with collar to fit into the baby female receiver, allowing me to mount the light to a grip head.

Here's my setup:
C-Stand behind the interview backdrop.
C-Stand arm with griphead extended over the top of the backdrop.
Pin with collar attached to griphead.
Yoke to Baby attaches light to pin.
15# sandbag on far side of arm.

These are the bulbs I'm thinking of using:
http://www.fjwestcott.com/related.cfm?itemnum=4205#

I have the TD-5 five blub Spiderlite and I love these bulbs which came with it. They are CRI 93.

I will paint the inside silver... totally didn't occur to me. And if that doesn't help enough, check out the higher output bulbs.

Thanks again.
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management