Diff in onboard light mounts/connectors? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old July 9th, 2003, 01:55 PM   #1
Major Player

Diff in onboard light mounts/connectors?

Okay, I'm confused. When checking out on-board dimmable camera lights (Frezzi, Lowell's id-light, etc.) I notice they're often available with various options:

1. a cigarete lighter connection
2. a 4 pin XLR connection
3. a BP-90 connection
4. an Anton Bauer tap

Could someone explain when/why I'd use these various connections, or point me to an article somewhere that would clear things up? Would like to get one, but am at a loss as to which way to go. I'll be mounting it on my DVX100. (Don't have a battery pack, but that's another post... unless the battery pack/power source is what makes a difference in these choices.)

Thanks guys. You're always incredibly helpful.
Marcia
Marcia Janine Galles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2003, 02:37 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I think 4 pin XLR is supposed to be the safest, most universal route.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2003, 09:34 PM   #3
Inner Circle

The type of connection depends on the type of equipment you're using. As an example; I have a Bescor on camera light that I use with my PD150's. The juice box battery and the battery belt have cigarertte lighter plugs (of course so does the light). I have an old "sun light" from a long time ago, that has a 4 pin locking XLR connection, very secure, of course it was hacked onto the light (it no longer works and I have no power for it but I hate to get rid of it, you never know when it might come in handy), the Anton Bauer tap works with many full size cameras. The power tap is plugged directly into the AB battery, and I believe that some cams have a power tap outlet in the cam so you can use it without using AB batteries. Of course you cut the battery time time to half or less using the light like that but it eliminates the need for a seperate battery for the light.
Hope that helps a little,
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2003, 09:56 PM   #4
Major Player

Don (or anybody that want to comment),

Is there a "good, better, best" ranking for battery connections? In other words, while price is always an issue for me, sometimes quality trumps price. I'd like to invest in a battery pack that down the line I can use for such things as an onboard light, or a nifty audio device I saw, or even powering a Lowel Omni that comes with a cig battery connector to be able to use it hand-held.

Any and all feedback is appreciated as we're totally into my realm of ignorance here.

Thanks much,
Marcia
Marcia Janine Galles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2003, 12:09 PM   #5
Major Player

I use an NRG battery belt (4 lbs) with both cig and XLR connection; for either a Varalux or Bescor on camera light--aside from the dead weight it packs, I find the freedom of mobile lighting (with diffusion added) more than compensation, and an NRG belt is built like a tank.
Barry Rivadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2003, 03:23 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Most folks would say that the 4pin connector is the best as it locks in. I have cig lighter type connections, that's what was on the stuff I bought, I've used it for a long time and only once pulled the plug on my light. OOOOPS! Oh well, no biggy.

The AB tap ONLY works with certain equipment.

I don't think it's really good,better,best. More of what's on the stuff I want and maybe a personal preference.

BTW, my Bescor belt with the 2 cells (12v) is quite heavy. The juice box is less so BUT I can get about 4 hours of constant light from these 2 battery setups if I have too.
Hope this helps,
Don B.
Don Bloom is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management