Opinions on a Kit Upgrade at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old April 6th, 2008, 09:17 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Opinions on a Kit Upgrade

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

I have made it so far with this light kit: 1 Omni, 2 Totas, 2 Pro lights, 1 iD on-camera light and 1 4 lamp flourescent.

The Pro lights make good hair lights, the Totas fill up the place and the Flo is nice soft key.

If I wanted to improve this kit or expand in a more profesisonal manner to light larger projects, which instruments would you suggest?

What I have now seems to be fine for one or two people onscreen.

Thanks!
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2008, 09:54 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Polster View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

I have made it so far with this light kit: 1 Omni, 2 Totas, 2 Pro lights, 1 iD on-camera light and 1 4 lamp flourescent.

The Pro lights make good hair lights, the Totas fill up the place and the Flo is nice soft key.

If I wanted to improve this kit or expand in a more profesisonal manner to light larger projects, which instruments would you suggest?

What I have now seems to be fine for one or two people onscreen.

Thanks!
Tim:

Just for interviews or for narrative? You need a soft, large source methinks as well as probably a ton of grip gear? Unless you already have sand bags, C stands, flags, etc.?
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2008, 11:15 PM   #3
Inner Circle

This would be for corporate/produced type work.

I guess when I look at my lights, they are fine and have served me well, but they seem to be regarded as entry level choices.

Just wanted to get some opinions on what would be the next step up (if needed).

I really like the flourescent fixture and might look into some more but they are so non-directional and short throw that it seems their best role is key or maybe green screen lighting.

I have some reflectors and plenty of stands, but I will look into some modifiers.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old April 7th, 2008, 09:56 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Polster View Post
This would be for corporate/produced type work.

I guess when I look at my lights, they are fine and have served me well, but they seem to be regarded as entry level choices.

Just wanted to get some opinions on what would be the next step up (if needed)...
A 4-light arri kit, at least in terms of conventional lights. The Arrilite is an open face with twice the everything of an Omni (control, output, durability, etc.) The Arri fresnel is a fine location light in every way - think Lowel Pro all grown up, really controllable, a lot of light.

Say, a kit with 2 Arrilites, 2 fresnel 650, 2 medium chimeras/speed rings.

OK, that's a very conventional answer, but if you walked into a rental house that serves corp/ind and asked "what's the next step up from your lowel kits" that's what they'd rent you. And they really are good lights.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2008, 10:56 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Thanks for your help & reply.

What would you add for diversity?

I like the soft flo's.

LEDs seem nice but they are only 5600k right now.

They would not mix with my all 3200k kit.

An all 5600k kit?
Old April 7th, 2008, 11:21 AM   #6
Contributor

If you have a need for fresnels, there are the Arris and also equivalent Altman and Mole-Richardson. The Altmans are a little more expensive than Arri but I like them a little better. The Moles are even more expensive but I think even better than the other two. However, all are equal in the end result. I wouldn't buy fresnels unless you see a need. If you're doing fine now with what you have, why spend the money unless you need different lights for a specific reason.

I have a set of FLolight 500LEDs, and as you said they are 5600K. That's what CTO gel is for if you need to mix them with tungsten. Or you can gel the tungstens with CTB.

Or, you could get some fluorescents that allow you to switch between 5600 and 3200 by changing the lamps.

I like having 3 LEDs or 3 fluorescents because I do a lot of interviews and in most all cases can get by fine with 3 of these; and they pull very little power which is nice for shooting in offices. I used three Lowel Caselights for a long time, and recently bought the 3 LEDs from Flolights. If you want fluorescents, Coollights has some nice ones at a low price.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2008, 11:44 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Thanks Bill,

How well does the LED light gel and mix with other 3200k instruments?

For the dollar, the LED's look like the best investment as their low power, dual color temp would allow for some battery powered closeup outdoor work if needed.
Old April 7th, 2008, 12:27 PM   #8
Contributor

They're like any other daylight source--you gel them with the right CT gel and they fit in fine with the other lights. I've used a cheap voltage inverter and run them off a car battery for outdoor shooting; but I'll probably buy a battery belt or pack from B&H for that purpose for the next outdoor shoot and use them DC.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2008, 01:54 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Do they lose much output when they are gelled?
Tim Polster is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management