Lighting for digital photography - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old July 8th, 2008, 06:03 AM   #16
Major Player

goo lights...

I'm big fan of speeedotron myself... speacialy the force 10 monolights.

I do recommend that you do not use a sync cord and instead use a wireless slave from your camera to your strobes. The reason is there is a chance that the strobes could fail and send current up the sync cord and fry your camera. I've been using flash wizards for years but any radio flash slave will do the job.
Christopher Witz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 11:44 AM   #17
Major Player

You completely lost me, Chris.

I understood what you said about the sync cord and the possibilit of the camera getting fried, but when you started talking about slaves and radio flash slave and flash wizards...my brain went to puddy.

I'll google these phrases and see what I find. One thing I do want to mention though is one time I was taking photographs and the lights kept going off, even though I didn't want them to and it was nowhere near the camera. I know for a fact it wasn't connected. So, I'm assuming and I'm pretty positive the EOS 40D is capable of doing this wireless sync.

Thanks again Chris, and that's definately some good advice. I don't want to end up frying the cam!
Old July 8th, 2008, 07:25 PM   #18
Major Player

there might have been some other light "strobing" setting them off via there built in flash detecting slaves.

"slave" is a trigger that fires the strobe.... either with a flash using the built in slave that most strobes have or via a wireless device that has a receiver that plugs into the synce on the strobe and a transmitter that either goes in the flash socket on top of the camera or plugs into the sync socket on the camera.

here's the wireless slave I use... http://www.pocketwizard.com/

not only is it good insurance using one, but the freedom of not having a cable is worth it alone.
Christopher Witz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management