Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old June 30th, 2008, 11:19 AM   #1
New Boot

On camera lighting for HV20 / XH A1

Hello the forum

I am looking for an on camera light for my HV20 / XH A1 and could use some help choosing.

Naturally I'm looking for a good balance of performance, cost and bulb changing ease.

It seems pretty hard to gather this info from the specs of on camera lights I've been able to find online (so hard that I don't even have a shortlist) so does anyone have the experience to guide me?

Though very much still a beginnger, I figure a key factor is the cost / benefit ratio of using an on camera light at all. I'm not going to be filming in pitch dark, but I may be filming in low light situations where the only reasonable solution is on camera lighting.

Thoughts?

Donal x
Donal Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2008, 12:04 PM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donal Heath View Post
Hello the forum

I am looking for an on camera light for my HV20 / XH A1 and could use some help choosing.

Naturally I'm looking for a good balance of performance, cost and bulb changing ease.

It seems pretty hard to gather this info from the specs of on camera lights I've been able to find online (so hard that I don't even have a shortlist) so does anyone have the experience to guide me?

Though very much still a beginnger, I figure a key factor is the cost / benefit ratio of using an on camera light at all. I'm not going to be filming in pitch dark, but I may be filming in low light situations where the only reasonable solution is on camera lighting.

Thoughts?

Donal x
The PAGlights (I use the C6 on an A1 and HV30s) are certainly easy to change lamps and are well tried but against that they are rather old fashioned and the battery is seriously heavy and bulky (think WW2 gas mask). A diffuser is helpful but any on-camera light is likely to give you the "rabbit in the headlights" effect so don't expect it to solve all your lighting problems.
Also remember the inverse square law and avoid getting "disposable camera with flash" results.

PS I hope you don't mind, but I've added you to the Brits on DVinfo list:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...962#post900962
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2008, 05:18 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Donal,
Search is your friend. Do a search with "on camera light" and you'll find plenty of times this question has been discussed. If you have questions after doing that, add them to a similar thread or return here.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management