DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old July 31st, 2003, 09:49 AM   #1
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Frezzi XL1 setup - to - Belt Conversion

This is a pretty specific question...anyone know what's involved in changing the clunky brick battery connection that comes standard in the XL1 kit for the Frezzi MiniDimmer to either a cigarette or XLR connection for a belt? Here are some specific questions:

1. Which is better...the cigarette or XLR connector?
2. Is it better to replace the existing connector with a similarly short cord and connector, then get a longer intermediary cord to attach to the belt? Or do you recommend one long (possibly coiled) cord straight from the revamped Frezzi to the belt?
3. What's involved? If I open I remove the casing, is it going to be a pretty simple procedure? OR...is it just a matter of snipping the existing cord in half and adding a new connector? (sorry...I know zip about this kind of stuff)

I've outgrown the brick battery...I need more battery power, and besides, I never liked how heavy the brick made the unit to carry. (By the way...I'm sure someone will say that opening up the Frezzi to change the cord will void the warranty. I'm willing to do that to make the change myself since I've been trying to get Frezzi to respond to my messages about having them do it without any luck. Looks like I'm on my own).
Old July 31st, 2003, 08:15 PM   #2
Wrangler

Cut the cord and add 3-pin XLR connections. The cigarette lighter approach will always pull out at the wrong time. Take a look at the convention for pins and polarity so your setup will be somewhat universal. A quick search on the web should give you the hook-up specs.
Old August 1st, 2003, 08:41 AM   #3

Thanks, Mike.

I'd have probably gone the cigarette lighter connection if you hadn't said otherwise. I'll see what parts I can dig up this weekend at Bic Camera.
Old August 1st, 2003, 10:16 AM   #4
Wrangler

I would be surprised if you can find 4-pin XLR connections at a camera store unless it is unusually well stocked. Even in San Jose, I had to go to an electronics parts store (no, Radio Shack doesn't carry them) to find the parts.

You may have to order them from someone like Markertek.
Old August 1st, 2003, 10:28 AM   #5

Mike...imagine the biggest mondo camera/video/electronics store you've ever seen...then double it.

Bic Camera at Yurakucho takes up the whole block, has six upper floors and two basement floors and has just about everything you can imagine...but strangely usually doesn't have what I'm looking for. Anyway...I'll give it a try. If no luck there, I'll head to Akihabara.

Wish me luck ;)
Old August 1st, 2003, 11:13 AM   #6
Wrangler

I know you can find them in the Akihabara, seen 'em there myself some years ago.

I just never stopped playing with all the neat goodies that we don't get over here when I'm there.
Old August 2nd, 2003, 10:40 PM   #7

Wouldn't you know it? Went to the three biggest pro video suppliers I know of in Tokyo... Fujiya Avic, PV-Station, and Bic...and not one of them could help me. They didn't even have any XLR plugs...just the whole XLR+cable.

By the time I got to Akihabara, people were shutting down. I managed to talk to one guy...and what did he say? "Impossible."

Aaargh. Going back today to ask around some more.
Old August 3rd, 2003, 04:10 PM   #8
Wrangler

I've found over here that you have to go to an honest-to-goodness electronic parts store. Not a bubble-pack Radio Shack but a genuine, I'll even sell you a triode if you need it parts store.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management