On camera light help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old August 22nd, 2008, 08:38 PM   #1
Trustee

On camera light help

I'm needing a fill light for my XH A1. In researching the options I quickly go underwater when looking at the different products.

It appears that there are several power options for the different lights. I'm not interested in the power belts. I think the Adam West-style utility belts are a little derigeur.

Does anyone have any overview information on the different types of light options? I mostly shoot run & gun so something portable would be optimal.

Also, I mount my shotgun on the shoe as the dead cat fur gets into view when using the Canon mount. I know the light wants to be on the shoe too. What options do I have for this?

Any insight would be appreciated.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2008, 05:26 PM   #2
Trustee

I recommend the Sony HVL-LBP LE light. It uses lomg lasting Sony batteries and can run all night long. It is a bit on the large and with a 8long lasting Sony 970 battery can be a tad heavy.
Sony | HVL-LBP LED Light System | HVLLBP | B&H Photo Video

So, its best to mount the light on the handle using a handle bracket like this one from VFGadgets:
HDV Handle Bracket | VFGadgets.com

With the light mounted on the handle your camera will stay a lot better balanced, rather than using the cold shoe on the front of the camera.
Old August 23rd, 2008, 07:11 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Sima has some little rechargeable LED 20 watters out - really cheap on eBay from buy.com... so far I've been surprised for the price, they actually have decent throw and a relatively neutral color (not overly blue). For the $, they might be a bargain! I like the fact that they are small and "light". They are designed to interlock so you could build an array if you wanted, and I'm still testing to see how the built in batteries last, but so far so good - they say between 45 and 60 minutes...

Considering the price, not bad (can't afford the Sony LED, sorry... although their HVL-20x series is nice if you want halogen and a warmer light), and I'm fiddling with some diffusion options to spread the light a bit better and make them just a tad less harsh to look into.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2008, 07:15 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
Sima has some little rechargeable LED 20 watters out - really cheap on eBay from buy.com... so far I've been surprised for the price, they actually have decent throw and a relatively neutral color (not overly blue). For the $, they might be a bargain! I like the fact that they are small and "light". They are designed to interlock so you could build an array if you wanted, and I'm still testing to see how the built in batteries last, but so far so good - they say between 45 and 60 minutes...

Considering the price, not bad (can't afford the Sony LED, sorry... although their HVL-20x series is nice if you want halogen and a warmer light), and I'm fiddling with some diffusion options to spread the light a bit better and make them just a tad less harsh to look into.
After reading your post I searched and bought one. Wow this is no Sissy light, I think I paid about $28.00. Perfect for a lot of purposes. It's not as poweful as the Leds I've made but it's perfect for run and gun.
Thanks for the info
Gary
Gary Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2008, 09:29 PM   #5
Major Player

I've got two of the Sima SL-20LX LED lights. I usually warm them a little with a 1/4 CTO. After 8 months, or so, of frequent use, a solitary LED bulb has 'gone' on one of the units. The wire connection to the AC adapter is also a bit flimsy so you have to be careful with it. Otherwise, I think it's a great light for the price.
Bryan Worsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2008, 10:07 PM   #6
Inner Circle

The Sima offers a lot of bang for low dough... and they interconnect so you can build an array out of them to top it off. I've now got a couple of them, and two definitely punches up the light output significantly - mounted on a dual bracket with one light to each side, they are plenty effective, and at under $100 for a pair... IF you can find them, they seem to be constantly out of stock!

At the price they are close to disposable compared to the other solutions out there.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2008, 03:09 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I'm looking at the Bescor LED 35, which comes with a filter kit. I have started a thread asking for feedback about them, but I suspect this is a new item.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2008, 04:01 PM   #8
Trustee

What about the Litepanels Micro, a smallish and light-weight LED that runs on AA batteries, dimmable and with the necessary filters? Seems a good alternative for handheld cameras.
Litepanels | LPMICRO Micro LED on Camera Light | LP-MICRO | B&H
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2008, 05:34 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harm Millaard View Post
What about the Litepanels Micro, a smallish and light-weight LED that runs on AA batteries, dimmable and with the necessary filters? Seems a good alternative for handheld cameras.
Litepanels | LPMICRO Micro LED on Camera Light | LP-MICRO | B&H

The Micro puts out a fine quality of light but it is flimsy, easy to break and the filter holder from the factory is defective, it doesn't hold filters very well. Also, if you whack the Micro against anything, there is a good chance to snap off the light head. Fragile unit that ends up being semi-disposable.

The LitePanels Mini, OTOH, is excellent, I love everything about it. Rented one for a job a few months ago and it was killer, I want one.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2008, 07:52 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Hmmm, while the LPMicro is fragile, in the 9 months or so I've been using mine it's been banged around and even dropped and it keeps on ticking. Not quite sure about the filter holder being defective mine seems to work fine and I've got a very early serial number. I use both the diffusion and 1/4 CTo and it works fine even when I open it up outside to use the light without the filters. I have to admit it is more fragile than my AB Ultralte and the Frezzis I've used but I broke a Frezzi once too so I guess anything can happen.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 08:06 PM   #11
Regular Crew

what about this one:
Bescor | LED-35 On Camera Light | LED35 | B&H Photo Video
Alain Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2008, 05:32 PM   #12
Trustee

I recently bought the Swit s-2000 camera light.
I'm well happy with it.
Good spread of light, no dark spots, wide enough for my EX1, 5600k LED's, 3200k filter, runs off d-tap,dimmable and well built.
I also bought the swit battery for the EX1, which has d-tap, so it powers the light and camera.

Paul.
Old November 18th, 2008, 12:14 AM   #13
Major Player

Well.... in terms on "on camera" lights I have a NRG tungsten light, the Lowel Prolight tungsten version adapted for use with 12V, and battery packs for both. Barndoors for both and the full range of lowel filter holders, scrims, dichros etc.... but I gotta tell you.... I read this thread and ended up picking up some SIMA IR units as well a the LED units referred to above (SL20-LX)... all I can say about the little SIMA's is WOW. The units are small (about 2-1/2 inches square.... and come with a bracket to connect to the camera base tripod mount.) They are multiple unit stackable too. All in all just too cool to describe, especially for about $30 per.

I HIGHLY recommend you buy a couple and throw em in your bag for emergencies (if not everyday fill use for the run and gunners). The light output is impressive for the size, as others have said. Not only can you use them as "on camera lights" for fill in those run and gun situations (like even during the day!) but as kickers in shoots!

Me ? I bought 2, and am going to get a few more to put away. They charge up in a few hours and seem to do ok for about 30-40 minutes of continuous on time. I think they fill a nice niche in anyone's kit bag for lighting.

I'll do a separate thread on the IR units, but same goes for them if you have a IR equipped camera.

Chris Swanberg
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 12:24 AM   #14
Major Player

MicroLite

Don Bloom,

I am with you on the LPMicro...I have used as a fill, rim light, and run and gun. It is a lot of bang for the buck, a use anywhere light. Overseas I used it to great advanatage. The AA power is also a plus, especially in a 220 Volt environment. Yeah, it is a little fragile, but if you don't abuse it, the Micro will give lot of service.

JH
Jack D. Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 01:08 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Glad to hear from Chris that I'm not crazy... the little Sima lights are worth a look. I did a full charge-discharge cycle test, and got just about 50 minutes of light use - they take a while to charge, so if you need more time, you'll need more lights, but considering you can buy 6-7 of them for less than any ONE of the "pro" lights, they certainly seem like a bargain. A pair looks to kick out quite a lot of usable light, even a bit better than just one!

I still like the Sony 10/20W units with diffusion, they are a bit warmer, and you can get bigger batteries pretty cheap, but the Sima SL20's are small and light and really seem to do the trick. Well worth buying a couple just for having around. Still want to cobble up some diffusers, but pretty amazed at how versatile the little lights are.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management