DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old September 10th, 2008, 12:57 PM   #1
Major Player

Made my own DIY Warm Cards

I made my own DIY Warm Cards by simply printing up some 8x10s I made in Adobe Photoshop off at the local Costco on Lustre (glare-reduced) paper. Cost me about $15 in total for two sets.

Here's a quick test shot: DIY Warm Cards Test on Vimeo

What do you guys think?
Old September 10th, 2008, 10:46 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Good Job. I like your idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyko View Post
I made my own DIY Warm Cards by simply printing up some 8x10s I made in Adobe Photoshop off at the local Costco on Lustre (glare-reduced) paper. Cost me about $15 in total for two sets.

Here's a quick test shot: DIY Warm Cards Test on Vimeo

What do you guys think?
M. Paul El-Darwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 08:28 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Great idea!

The main problem with home-made warm cards is variable printer performance. Printing out at a photo service *should* take care of that, allowing greater standardization.

I say "should" because the photo operators have user controls and there are also some auto controls that can affect HSL. But only a photo that needs it should be getting adjustments, and for the most part, they only look at the enlargements. Of course, with an enlargement you could request "No color corrections".

The quad-split in your video is probably the most revealing. The scene is somewhat uninteresting, color-wise... but that is where warm cards may help.

I purchased the basic commercial set a few years ago. Tell the truth, I haven't used it much. The small ones are always in the camera bag, though, and that's been essential a couple of times when shooting under horrible stadium or parking lot lights. Not exactly sure which lights (sodium vapor? mercury pressure?), but I couldn't otherwise get an acceptable white balance. The cards were very helpful.

Otherwise, I'm usually doing a standard white, but there are some tweaks in my usual picture profile (color +3, phase +1, cinematone on) that warm slightly. (Sony HVR-V1U)

Many places to touch the color, but white balance has its advantages.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 09:15 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Again, great idea Brian.

The first "white balanced" video certainly WASN'T white balanced, at least acceptably by my standards. Too much spill from the window that wasn't accounted for when white balancing. Occasionally we find ourselves in situations where we really CAN'T control light spill and any warm cards will certainly make a difference and KUDOS to you for doing it "on the cheap".

As well, thanks for including the spectral percentages for those who would like to recreate your handiwork.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management