Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old November 21st, 2008, 10:37 AM   #1
Tourist

Used Fresnel - what make/model is this?

Hello-
Looking at buying a used Fresnel for portrait work and am wondering if anyone can identify what model this is. The guy who I am buying it from does not know (and he is a couple of hours away from me), but says that the stand is a Mole Richardson. He also believes it to be 1,000 watt, but is not sure. Any idea? Any advice?

Thanks!
Eric

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/4628/img4110dm2.jpg

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/5013/img4109te8.jpg

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/9162/167azz3.jpg
Eric Corliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 11:01 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Looks like a typical Altman stage instrument. Designed to be hung.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 11:37 AM   #3
Tourist

That's it! Thanks. I Googled them and they look like they are pretty cheap...probably not worth a 4 hour round trip and $50. And from my reading they are not focusable, correct?
Eric Corliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 11:48 AM   #4
Wrangler

It's a little hard to tell from those photos; it could be either an Altman or an older Century 6" Fresnel. The attachment shows what the Century unit looked like.

Altman bought Century's old designs for the 6" fresnel and Ellipsoidal Reflector Spotlight back in the late 1960's IIRC, and has made them for many years. Other smaller companies have also copied these designs.

Later, Century became Century-Strand, then finally just Strand Lighting. Brings back lots of memories of my days as a high school, church basement and college "techie" :-)
Attached Images

Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 11:52 AM   #5
Trustee

its not a mole for sure, its a stage light as the others have suggested. given its small size, its most likely a 500W bulb in there. while you might be able to mount a 1K, it wouldn't be safe. in fact even with a 500 these lights run really hot as they are very simply sheet metal housings. they are really cheap new, I wouldn't pay more then $50 for it at best, maybe 35 since it seems to be missing the barndoors. B/D's for these lights are pretty crappy.
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management