V-Light vs Tota at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old November 30th, 2008, 10:31 PM   #1
Inner Circle

V-Light vs Tota

I was looking at Lowel's site and came across the V-Light. I'm wondering how it compares to a Tota. Obviously there are physical differences, but I'm more interested in so far as how the application of the two would differ.

For example, would one be better or worse than the other for lighting a green screen or other background?

Or are there oher areas where one would be superior to the other?

Or are they pretty much the same animal?
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 11:19 PM   #2
Major Player

I have a V-Light and I love it. It's the size of a Betacam tape and frankly, I never know when or how I'll use it. That said, the Tota is a great workhorse too. It's a bit more durable. When collapsed, it's "barn doors" fold over the lamp and everything's protected (unlike the V-Light). It's a perfect light for throwing in a bag on the go. And it can be lamped down, while I haven't found lower wattages for the V.

As for lighting a green screen, I don't really see how one or the other would be better for that sort of thing. The Tota can take up to a 750w lamp, and go as low as 300w. Do you need that sort of versatility? I don't know. Both are a broad, unfocusable light, which is the same animal (sort of).

~~Dave
Dave Dodds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 11:30 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Dave,

Thanks much. That helps.
Old December 1st, 2008, 07:02 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Dodds View Post
The Tota can take up to a 750w lamp, and go as low as 300w.
~~Dave
The Tota can be lamped as a 1K.
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 10:16 AM   #5
Major Player

There's a 650w bulb for the Tota that puts out the equivalent light of a 1k. As for an actual 1k lamp, Lowel is very clear about not putting anything above 750w (or 800w in PAL land) in the Tota. That special 650w (FCM, I believe) is awesome, though. If you get a Tota, get some of these.

Good luck.

~~Dave
Dave Dodds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 08:14 PM   #6
Contributor

I've used Totas before for lightng a green screen. In fact, that's about the only time I've ever used them direct. Usually they are bounced off umbrellas. I thought the V-light only worked with a 500 watt bulb. Their only advantage, I think, is that they are so small and light. But so are Totas.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 09:11 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Dodds View Post
There's a 650w bulb for the Tota that puts out the equivalent light of a 1k. As for an actual 1k lamp, Lowel is very clear about not putting anything above 750w (or 800w in PAL land) in the Tota. That special 650w (FCM, I believe) is awesome, though. If you get a Tota, get some of these.

Good luck.

~~Dave
I have probably a half dozen or so Totas in my kit.
The only time I usually use them is lamped as a 1k in a medium soft box with a grid or honeycomb.
If I remember right, the lamp code for the 1K is "FHM"
Just make sure to use the chicken wire protector over the face.

By the way, neither the V-Light nor the Tota would be at the top of my list for green screen or background lighting.

Good Luck!
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 09:30 PM   #8
Inner Circle

David,

Thanks for the comment. What would be your favorite and would it be different (or not) if portability were a big piece of the requirement?
Old December 2nd, 2008, 02:35 PM   #9
Trustee

I've used 1K's in tota's. the problem is if you turn on the light with the barndoors closed, it will melt the aluminum reflectors very fast. I've not done that, but I had some PA's handle the light and do it. :( like the label says, for professional use only.

that said, its not a very useful light. I haven't used mine in years. they are ok for stuff like dumping light into a background at night, but even there, a 1K mole is the preffered fixture. you can also use them as cheap cyc lights, or inside a softwbox. however, given that you need to burn the bulb in the level horizontal position or risk bulb explosion, its again, not a light for use by anyone who doesn't really understand proper handling of it.

one place they work ok is in a space light, where you mount 5 or 6 1K's into a frame, and hang it over head shooting into a 8X8 with a skirt, but of course you need a grid or speed rail and big stands to rig that.

overall, not really a very useful light
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management