Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old December 4th, 2008, 02:57 PM   #1
Major Player

adidas houseparty lighting

YouTube - adidas Originals House Party

How's the lighting achieved? I'm talking about the shots that looks like it was lit with a ring light.. is it?
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 03:58 PM   #2
Wrangler

Being the owner of a litepanel, I'd say it's the same look. It's a bit softer than most on-camera lights.

In a lot of the shots the litepanel (if it is indeed) is dimmed way down and the top lights from the ceiling are doing most of the work.
Old December 4th, 2008, 04:11 PM   #3
Major Player

I'll agree it was done with some on camera lighting, either Litepanels or a fluorescent ring. Pretty cool ad, too.
Notice the vignetting of the water-proof housing on the jumping-into-the-pool shot?
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2008, 06:19 PM   #4
Major Player

You think a LitePanel Micro can achieve this?
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2008, 11:56 PM   #5
Major Player

how interesting, I saw this thread and commercial for the first time...and then the commercial came on television literally about 10 minutes later.

as far as the micro, I believe it only consumes about half the wattage as the Litepanel, if that helps? I think there is a good write-up on here about brightness vs. wattage? IDK, im tired...

JS
John Stakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 02:51 PM   #6
Trustee

\\Look at the shot of the hands near the ceiling at about 31sec in. Clearly something soft slightly ABOVE the camera lens, then at least two softish sources both camera right.

If it was just a Kamio or similar ring light, I'd expect see more fall off in a circular pattern.

I think you're seeing a LOT of different approaches to lighting individual scenes here.

Most of the time Kamio rings are used to add ring shaped eye sparkle on facial close ups - hardly EVER as general illumination. They're just too small for that.

YMMV.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management