Cheap Lighting kit for documentary interviews? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old February 4th, 2009, 12:13 AM   #31
New Boot

How much of a difference is there between the Rifa-Lite EX55 (with its 500 watts) and EX44 (with its 200 watts), in just overall performance and uses?
Matt DeBruycker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2009, 12:21 AM   #32
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt DeBruycker View Post
How much of a difference is there between the Rifa-Lite EX55 (with its 500 watts) and EX44 (with its 200 watts), in just overall performance and uses?
The small light cannot accomodate the 3-lamp fluorescent fixture, which makes it a no go in my view.
Old February 4th, 2009, 12:51 AM   #33
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
The small light cannot accomodate the 3-lamp fluorescent fixture, which makes it a no go in my view.
Are you sure? Because on the B&H website it states the fixture is for all rifa-ex. Thanks for your time.
Old February 4th, 2009, 08:00 AM   #34
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt DeBruycker View Post
Are you sure? Because on the B&H website it states the fixture is for all rifa-ex. Thanks for your time.
You are correct and I am wrong:

Lowel Rifa eXchange Accessory Lampheads

It seems I was mistaking this with the other tungsten lamphead. Good catch and sorry for the confusion.
Old February 4th, 2009, 01:06 PM   #35
New Boot

Any other thoughts about the differences, now that we determined that they can both use the fluorescent exchange. I'm fairly new to lighting, I'm just not that sure whether or not the ex55 is worth the extra money for the 500 watts over the 200 that the ex44 provides.
Old February 4th, 2009, 01:08 PM   #36
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Matt, in addition to more wattage, you also get a larger surface area which can help with coverage. I bought the 55 more for the size than for the wattage.
Old February 4th, 2009, 02:55 PM   #37
Inner Circle

And I bought the 88 for much the same reason. I didn't want to get caught not being able to light 2 people seated next to each other. The smaller units are just a bit too small for this I felt.

Note that the small Chimera is the size of the largest Rifa.
Old February 4th, 2009, 10:00 PM   #38
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
I didn't want to get caught not being able to light 2 people seated next to each other.
The people I videotape don't have friends, and therefore this is not an issue for me... <sly grin>

Had I the disposable income when I bought my 55, I may have also bought an 88 at the same time. It's nice to have the compact packaging for transport but you just can't beat a large softbox when you need more coverage.
Old February 22nd, 2009, 03:32 PM   #39
Regular Crew

Quote:
I'm thinking of buying this kit also.

Sorry to be a pain in the bum, but could anyone tell me the difference between the item linked above and this from their main site: Lowel Rifa eX 55 Kit

Any difference aside from the $320 difference that is.

Chris
Christopher Warwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 12:33 AM   #40
Inner Circle

Looks like one comes with a hard case, and the other a softbag. In MY opinion. with a softbox (basically fabric) you'll want the hard case. If the fabric comes in contact with anything sharp, you really don't want that to penetrate to your softbox. The hard case just solves problems like this before they start, even though they weigh more.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 03:19 PM   #41
Regular Crew

Quote:
Looks like one comes with a hard case, and the other a softbag. In MY opinion. with a softbox (basically fabric) you'll want the hard case. If the fabric comes in contact with anything sharp, you really don't want that to penetrate to your softbox. The hard case just solves problems like this before they start, even though they weigh more.
Surely I could make something to protect the softbox... Even if I purchased a bit of plywood to make the softbag a hard case? $320 is rather a lot for that difference alone in my opinion!

Chris
Christopher Warwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2009, 02:51 PM   #42
Major Player

Quote:

I bought some 2-way adapters today from Home Depot. They turn one receptacle into two. Because of the weird angles in that setup, you can't use all the receptacles. But I think I can fit 6 100w equivalent bulbs in my RIFA now. So I should have the equivalent of 600w of power, with nearly no heat given off.
Hi,

I'm having trouble locating these 2-way adaptors - could anyone provide a link please so I can see what they look like, and hopefully locate an equivalent adaptor in the UK?

peter

Last edited by Peter Dunphy; April 30th, 2009 at 03:47 PM.
Peter Dunphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2009, 11:07 AM   #43
Trustee

The Rifa lites come with a heavy bag that hold everything, so a case necessary. The case holds accessories, light stand, etc.

I like the Lowel soft cases since they are lightweight and excellent quality.

The hard cases are good if you good if you are on the go in a rough fashion, want the rigidy, and maybe have some more delicate pieces, such as a pro light--but the pro light travels well in the soft case as well.. The soft cases have a zipper and the hard cases clasps.

If you are not familiar with the Lowel "lampacks," I highly recommend them. to carry the lamps (bulbs). (Use a heavy rubber band to make sure they stay closed.

The 44 is smaller so the light is not as soft. The 44 works well when less light is needed and in smaller spaces.

The standard 44 can also take lamp that runs off a battery. Some people use the 44 with a battery to carry around and follow the talent. With the eX system, the 44 socket unit can be put on any of the rifa lights, so if you had an odd situation where you wanted to use a battery operated Rifa 55, you could. (If you use a battery light, you not only have to change the lamp/bulb, but you also need an adapter for the cord.

Even though expensive, the accessory virtually everyone needs (and wants if they don't have) is a grid.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2009, 05:31 PM   #44
Trustee

I use the Rifa 55 and take it everywhere. The only thing is make sure you take your globes out for transportation. I made this mistakea few times being in a hurry. Once the globes cooled down I left the globe in the frame and got to the next shoot only to find a busted globe and here in Sydney they are $40 or so.

The Rifa 55 is great for small setup interviews but watch for mixed lighting such as a bright window throwing light on the talent as this will screw up the colour balance.
I always learn the hardway.
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2009, 04:13 PM   #45
Regular Crew

I've got a copy of the "How to light great interviews..." and it's a pretty straightforward set of instructions on how to light great interviews (especially if you enjoy the Hallmark channel or like watching images bathed in treacle brown candyfloss). My problem is that I live in UK (that's not the problem) so I can't buy the Lowel gear very easily. Does anyone know if there is a European equivalent set of gear for the pro and rifa etc - I am sure there is. Cheers, Jon
Jonathan Morrow is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management