And there was light... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old January 13th, 2009, 01:30 AM   #1
Regular Crew

And there was light...

Okay, here's the issue. I'm working on editing a video that was shot in a church. There are two camera's that are used, with one positioned on the left side halfway to the front, and the other up on a balcony at the rear. There are tall, thin windows along both sides allowing in sunlight, as well as incandescent "chandeliers" hanging from the ceiling to provide the house lights, and the newest addition is a row of six halogen(or quartz?) lights which are used to cover the stage.

The video seems to change fairly quickly from red tinged to blue tinged during any camera movement. The AWB will can't seem to make up it's mind. Perhaps I should also mention that the paint and carpet colours are of a blueish green nature. I'll post a still when I have a chance.

So my question is two fold. What is the best way to handle the colour temp situation? Avoid pans? What can be done to control or alter the light in the room?

Would gelling the halogen lights be the best move?
Matt Ratelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 03:41 AM   #2
Inner Circle

1. gel the lights to match color teMp.

2. TURN OFF AWB!

If the white balance is off you can sort that in post, but with awb, you have a constantly moving target. I did a job once where I had to correct an awb recorded video. I had over 200 keyframes in a seven minute video. NEVER again.
Old January 13th, 2009, 04:11 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Shot a wedding like that once - everything in the rear of the chapel was blue/green from the stained glass widows, and it would change to a more reddish mix towards the front... panning required for processional, and since the takes were continuous, not a lot to do but cutaway where possible... and make the best of it I could in post.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 07:53 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I should mention that I don't use the AWB because it will just change from time to time even when just locked off.

@Perrone: So would you suggest slapping some gels on the halogen lights?
Matt Ratelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 08:57 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ratelle View Post
@Perrone: So would you suggest slapping some gels on the halogen lights?
No, I would suggest settling on a color temp, and then gelling the lights to that temperature.
Old January 13th, 2009, 11:47 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Don't know the shooting situation and can't quite tell from your description - but I know my preference is to either set all the cameras to a manual white balance and leave them there, or if the cams are the same or close, choose one preset that looks the best under the majority of shot angles, and cutaway/CC in post. AWB is a nightmare waiting to ruin your day. Presets aren't perfect, but they provide a known quantity to start your CC adventure from.

If you know your time of day and your shoot is a consistent one, maybe you could spend the time to dial in a WB preset or adjust the lighting... but those windows could really muck up your work as the big light in the sky moves about! If they are stained glass, just grin and grit your teeth.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 12:09 AM   #7
Regular Crew

A lot depends on where the chandeliers are and how much impact they have on the areas being shot. Assuming they can't be color corrected with CFL bulbs or gels, the next suggestion would be to eliminate their output when shooting. Geling the halogens with CTB would match them to the 5600K window lighting, but the incandescent lights will emit a reddish hue on anything close enough to be illuminated by them.

If the filming is for a special event and you aren't shooting the entire church, you may get by with a couple of rolls of CTO gel taped to the windows nearest the stage so that everything in the front of the church is around 3200K. Hope that helps.
Steve Rusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 09:47 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I seem to be having trouble uploading the shots...so heres a test

Ok...seems there was no luck...The files appear to be small enough, but the page seems to time out. Any suggestions?

Last edited by Matt Ratelle; January 19th, 2009 at 10:12 PM. Reason: I suck
Matt Ratelle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management