DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old February 24th, 2009, 10:06 PM   #1
Regular Crew

simple XHA1 music video shot at -3 gain with a $10 spotlight

a friend was recording some music in a studio and set up a lot of expensive flashing red and blue lights which didn't look very nice on film. i got a $10 spot light from the hardware and went for a more dramatic look, focusing on the artist.

i shot it at 25/fps, -3 gain, mounted on an old wooden miller tripod, initially slightly over exposed because i wanted to darken everything but Harii, the singer.
a touch of color correction, and BOB's your uncle....

"you've got a friend" on Vimeo

what do you think?
Jai Gabbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 09:42 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Jai:

I dig the look, you made the right choice. Great artist too, really liked his voice and performance. Too bad you couldn't have used two cameras or done multiple takes, would have given you some editing options but you did well considering one camera.

Thanks for sharing.
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 01:38 PM   #3
Major Player

Jai,

I really liked the look you got as well. Nice job. I also really like the singer's voice and performance.

Can you share what mics you used on voice and guitar? I only listened on my el cheapo computer speakers, but it sounded pretty good.

Rob
Rob Neidig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 06:23 PM   #4
Regular Crew

cheers dan,
two cameras would have been the go, as Harii never plays any song the exact same way twice. always the trouble when you play from the heart;)
saying that, i did get a lot of little pretties(relevant CU's etc....)through the shoot, to mix in with different songs during final edit.

hi rob,
believe it or not, this was unplugged(no amps, all music being only being recorded through the mikes) and the sound you heard came straight from the onboard mike on the canon XHA1. we were in a recording studio full of foam and sound proofing, so that might have made a difference, but i do believe the onboard mike on this canon is sensational.
can't wait for the editors to do edit with the master tape.

thanks again...

jai
Jai Gabbard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management