DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old February 27th, 2009, 04:35 PM   #1
Major Player

What does voltage matter?

Ok, so I am about to purchase my first lighting "kit." One kit accepts up to 250v per fixture, and the other kit accepts up to 110v per fixture. So watts is the measure of power (volts x amps). My question is does it matter which kit I purchase? What differences can I expect? The 110v kit is significantly cheaper than the other.

JS
John Stakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 04:42 PM   #2
Major Player

If you live in the US, you'll have very little use for the 250v system. It would be hard to find something to plug into.
Old February 27th, 2009, 06:41 PM   #3
Major Player

hmm...I didn't even think about that. So does this mean that anything over 110v would not show me any difference (as far as brightness etc...)?

JS
John Stakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 07:02 PM   #4
Trustee

If you are buying lights like this:

CL-LED600 600 LED Panel - Cool Lights USA

...that use a power supply that converts either 110v or 220v to what is needed then it does not matter. Since you are talking about kits that are either/or then you should get lights that are designed to work in the country where you will be shooting. If you use the wrong voltage things tend to make smoke.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 07:56 PM   #5
Major Player

Anything over 110v would likely damage your fixture and/or bulb so its extremely important to get this right. It has nothing to do with output or brightness but rather just correct operation in your country.

Tungsten fixtures connect directly to the line and the bulb is rated for the predominant voltage in your country--in this case 110v. In other types, as Marcus noted, there is a ballast or power supply in between the bulb and power line and its important to know what that power supply is rated for. Some fixtures are 110v only, some are 220v only and even others are anything from 110v to 220v or what we call universal voltage input.
Richard Andrewski - Cool Lights USA - RED #114
http://www.coollights.biz
Richard Andrewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 10:40 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Andrewski View Post
Tungsten fixtures connect directly to the line and the bulb is rated for the predominant voltage in your country--in this case 110v. In other types, as Marcus noted, there is a ballast or power supply in between the bulb and power line and its important to know what that power supply is rated for. Some fixtures are 110v only, some are 220v only and even others are anything from 110v to 220v or what we call universal voltage input.
Ok now I understand perfectly. Thanks for clearing that up Richard. And thanks for the resource Marcus. Thanks Andy.

On to purchase my lights!
JS
John Stakes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management