Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old March 25th, 2009, 03:34 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Help with Gelling El Cheapo LEDs

Hello,

I have an LED fixture from Coolights and thought it would be nice to have an all battery powered small setup.

I came across some very inexpensive copies of the "Mic Light" on Ebay and ordered a few.

The light is a little more blue than the 5400k Cool Light fixture, I would guess 6500-7000k.

Any ideas on gelling the light down 1000-1500 degrees?

They will be used as small hair lights, so they do not need to be an exact match, but close enough.

Thanks
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 05:15 PM   #2
Major Player

Just pretending for a moment that the light might be 8000K, a 3/4 CTO should take it down pretty well to 5600K. If it is lower than 8000K then try a 1/2 or 1/4 CTO. It wouldn't be a bad idea to have all those gels around anyhow for when you really need them. The 3/4 CTO can also be used of course to take the LED600 down to 3200K for those times you might need that.
Richard Andrewski - Cool Lights USA - RED #114
http://www.coollights.biz
Richard Andrewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 08:04 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks for your input Richard.

I took the lights to a local shop here and they held up a few filters and said I was out of luck.

That there was no minus blue filter so to speak.

Will the CTO give the lights an orange tint even though they are closer to 5600k?

I should try to find another place to see the filter on before buying.
Old March 25th, 2009, 08:54 PM   #4
Major Player

CTO really is kind of the minus blue so to speak although many don't think of it that way. Thats really the way you take any thing thats too blue down lower. I recommend looking at the 1/2 or 1/4 CTOs. It won't make it more orange, just less blue is the better way to think about it. The reason is the same reason that magenta works to take out green in lighting. You pick the color you want to counteract and then pick the color opposite to it on the color wheel to do that. Here's an example color wheel:

4096 Color Wheel Version 2.1

Just put your cursor on a color area like green and look across from it to see what the colors are there.

It happens to be orange for blue and magenta for green. So, its not a question of it necessarily making the light more magenta or orange tinted, its just making it less green or blue.
Richard Andrewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 09:07 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Thanks Richard.

I will give it some more effort.

BTW, your LED light is a very nice instrument.

I shot with it as a hair light (with 1/8th minus green) across from your 4x flo light using daylight balance and it looked really nice.

The bank selectors are great.
Old March 25th, 2009, 09:59 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks for your kind words! Makes eating Chinese food 3 time a day a bit more worthwhile ;-)
Richard Andrewski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management