DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   lighting for a fashion show? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/14983-lighting-fashion-show.html)

Michael McConnell September 25th, 2003 06:23 PM

lighting for a fashion show?

Hello,

I have a fashion show to shoot next month and they want me to light the runway. I have two tota lights and I was thinking of placing the lights on the ends of the runway-does anyone have any suggestions? the runway is flat not raised.

Jacques Mersereau September 25th, 2003 06:43 PM

Tell us more about this gig such as who the client is and where it is happening.
What level of fashion show is this going to be?

IMO to a professional job you're gonna need a _ton_ more stuff.
Back light, side lighting (both sides) and front light too are just about
required.

Michael McConnell September 26th, 2003 09:21 AM

Hello Jaq,

This event will be held at a sheraton hotel location. I havent gotten a reply email about who the fashion designer is yet. I'm scouting the location next week. I understand I have to light the ends of each runway. Can you tell me a little more in detail about the backlighting/side lighting. one of my mentors is helping me out with this project but, i just want to be on the same page.

I have two tota lights and have access to more lighting but, I need the info. If this job is to heavy then I'll let the client know she needs to bring in a lighting person. I've provided some pictures below it might be in the meeting facilites room or ball room. The ladies kind of slow with replying to her emails sorry I couldnt get more info.

http://www.starwood.com/popups/popup_slideshow.html?propertyID=994&category=RESD

P.S.
Besides being a part-time videographer I'm also a sorta-kind of publicist so I can get anything in 24hours. Getting equipment is no problem.

Jacques Mersereau September 26th, 2003 05:10 PM

If you want really good results, I would see about hiring a lighting company.
Those guys would have enough gear to do it right, which can entail anything
from hanging truss (which is the classiest way to go) to setting up
4 hefty crank towers to hoist between 6-12 1000W pars *each*.
You'll need to advance the gig and check on tying into BIG power or
renting a generator.

When I did a small show in Detroit (which had a tiny budget) I used
4 crank stands with what is know as "6 bars". Six thousand watt pars
cans integrated into each lighting bar. 6 bars make a nice clean set up
and take lighting multis (huge elephant trunk sized lighting a/c snakes that
hold 19 12 gauge cables (3 lines for each par) using one
connector called socapex. This keeps the mess to
a minimum. I went with two colors a pink and a blue.

Positioning of the lights depends heavily on the runway and seating.

If you use truss, hang some sections well out in front of the runway and
some sections behind (you can also hang curtains or other
scenery to make an entrance way for the models).

If you go with the crank stands set them up so you can cover the
runway from all four corners if possible. That way the models are lite up from
all sides and look good from all sides. You'll want to go high as possible
to keep the light out of people's eyes, BUT you may also need to go with
just frontal lighting (out in front of the runway, but off to the sides) and back light if you cannot go high with your side towers.

Wayne Orr September 26th, 2003 08:01 PM

Besides the necessary hardware, you are getting into major liability issues. No hotel is going to let you start hanging lights without a huge insurance policy protecting them from anything that could go wrong. This could develop into a major undertaking. Beware.

Jacques Mersereau September 26th, 2003 09:20 PM

That's right and why hiring a real lighting company would be best.

Michael McConnell September 27th, 2003 08:14 AM

Lighting company way to go.

Ok cool, Lighting company it is--Ill let the women know that she'll have to hire a seperate person to do lighting. I have someone in mind that light's concerts and clubs. I do a lot of eclectic fashion designers shows with iffy budgets and I noticed the lighting is always poor--i have to ask them to turn up the house lights sometimes. I even did a fashion show in a bowling alley before-flouresent light's didn't help. The truth is a lot of these people don't have the same budget as gucci or prada, but they want their shows filmed.

I totally understand the insurance aspect and have concidered that. I was supposed to shoot in a very high profile restaurant about three weeks ago for my website and thats the first thing they asked us for. We have the papers now, but imagine if one of my lights crashed, caught on fire and burned the whole joint down.(nightmare)

Thanks for your help in this matter. I never want to mislead a client into thinking I can perform miracles when I cant. I had a friend who took on a big project for a jazz musician and knew it was to big for him. My friend messed up the audio and the client was really pissed. I appriciate your help!

p.s.

just bought jack Jackman's book--lighting for digital video--hope it's helpful.

Jacques Mersereau September 27th, 2003 10:17 AM

Ok cool, Lighting company it is--Ill let the women know that she'll have to hire a seperate person to do lighting. I have someone in mind that light's concerts and clubs. I do a lot of eclectic fashion designers shows with iffy budgets
and I noticed the lighting is always poor

++++++
True. They all want to play Bill Blass, but they don't have the resources
and come off so poorly that they'd been better to have skipped it imo.
The one's who'll rise will be natural salespeople and get the $ to do it right.
++++++

Thanks for your help in this matter. I never want to mislead a client into thinking I can perform miracles when I cant.

+++++
And don't forget that if you do pull off a miracle for no money, forever after
that will be the price and the expectation. In addition, the word
will spread amongst the entire community as to what was done and
for how much. You'll try to raise your price and new clients will use it against
you getting what the gig should really cost. I've seen it too many times
and been there too many times.
My advice is to charge like everyone else in the business world who's still in business.
+++++

Michael McConnell October 2nd, 2003 09:38 AM

thanx jaq

thanks for your help in this matter--I closed the deal and I'm bringing in a lighting crew for the designer. Sorry thread reply was so late--ive been running.

p.s.
yes I always give the clients the universal videographer rates:)