Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old November 4th, 2003, 11:16 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Question for Chimera Man on Micro Lightbox

For Richard Veil or anyone else with an answer. How sturdy are these:

http://www.chimeralighting.com/produ...?product=micro

Also, of all the portable light sources mentioned on your web site, which is the highest in quality? My current source is the Cool-Lux Mini Cool, which is not bad, but what's the next step up?

Of all the different models of the lightbox, what distinguishes one from the other? If I decide to switch manufacturers (CL, Frezzolini, etc.), are the only differences among the 1320 and 1325 the mounting hardware on the back?
Marc Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2003, 04:38 PM   #2
Chimera Lighting

Hey.. From Richard on Micro bank..

Well as far as strength.. it is pretty strong.. the rods and fabric are up to par with our other banks. It has a 5yr warr.
The mounting system is rugged.

As far as changing lights.. it depends on the kit.. there may be some height adjustment needed as well. Chimera will always work with you on parts if you need them.

As far as lights................
there are so many good ones...
I will leave it up to you..

thanks

r
Old November 7th, 2003, 06:18 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks, Rich. I'll be ordering a pair of Chimera micro lightboxes from B&H this weekend, for 2 different lights. I like the compact 5x7 format; it makes interviewing people less stressful.
Old November 12th, 2003, 05:30 PM   #4
Regular Crew

The only difference between lightbox models is in the bracket on which the light is attached. Thus, if it could be ordered as an accessory part, it would make it easier to switch over to another brand of light.

The fabric is indeed strong like Rich said, and should last at least 5 years. Stitching and fit are excellent.

Improvements could be made to the mounting hole on which the light mounts. It should not be threaded 1/4 - 20 for the mini cool, because this prevents you from aligning the mc's shoe mount. Ream this out if the light is mounted on your camera, and not a light stand.

The holes which hold the rods of the lightbox are a little tight. Use a finger hand drill to remove bits of aluminum still in the holes. Also oil the tips of the rods. Otherwise, removal is more difficult. The hood makes a snug fit, so loosen the velcro strip which closes one corner. Refasten it after the rods are secure.
Old November 23rd, 2003, 11:30 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Jeez Marc, I wouldn't go anywhere near the speedring with a drill. You want those holes tight. The more you use it, they loosen up some.

Richard, are there more diffusion screens for this lightbox than came with the unit? I could use a little more flexibility.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2003, 12:36 PM   #6
Trustee

Re "oiling the tips of the rods"

Might I suggest a food grade silicone spray . Better lube than oil and it's not messy. I keep a big can of it handy at all times. Other uses are door and window tracks, door hinges. You can even use it to waterproof stuff (shoes, bags even wind shields) as there is no oily residue.

Oil or WD 40 would be messy.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2003, 11:24 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I have a couple of Micro lightboxes: one for a dedo (DLH2) and one for a Lowel id-Light. I can recommend both lights.

The id-Light is a very good battery-powered camera top light (obie/OB/on-board) because it is dimmable. I think that a dimmer is essential for an obie if you want to avoid the bunny-in-the-headlights look. You can use just as much front fill as you need. It also works well as an eye light.

Note that Lowel also make a similar non-dimmable light, the i-Light.

www.lowel.com

The dedo is an altogether different and wonderful thing, and I recommend it strongly. Though I think that the id-Light is a better camera top light, if I could only have one of the two it would have to be the dedo.

www.dedolight.com/100series.html

Best,
Helen
Helen Bach is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management