DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old January 10th, 2004, 05:37 AM   #1
Regular Crew

What is a good portable light?

Actually, I'd like to see what other portable lighting solutions people are using specifically with this camera as well. With the problem this camera has under poor lighting and blown out whites. I'd love to hear what experiences people have had with any portable lighting solutions.

In particular we are doing a shoot in a bar with almost no lighting and just need to get some close ups of people's faces. Would want the light to be portable and light.
This won't give great light, but what do you guys think about this little number

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...&is=REG&BI=155
Lisa Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2004, 06:52 PM   #2
Regular Crew

The amount of light it generates is not that great. I have one that I bought for a JVC DVP9U. The info shoe is a very limiting connection. It is almost preferable to buy a mini-rover and to attach a battery powered light from Anton Bauer. Unfortunately, the price is unacceptable to most people (they would need an AB belt, battery, charger and of course, the ultralight). Also you might have to add a chimera mini-softbox. Total this up and it exceeds the cost of the camera.
Marc Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2004, 01:16 PM   #3
Major Player

That JVC model is only compatible with camcorders with a hot shoe which the HD10/HD1 doesn't have.

I'm also in the same boat for for my HD1.

I have a similar model for my Sony TRV20 and it works Ok for short distances. It's actually a flash/video light with only 3 watts of power.

I'm not sure how many watts that JVC model is but I was looking at an alternative such as this Sony model. It has either 10 or 20 watts and is battery operated with a rechargable Li battery.

I'm thinking about trying on out this week. I'll let you know how it works.

Troy
Troy Lamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2004, 05:36 PM   #4
Regular Crew

That sony sounds pretty good. How much battery life do you get from it?
Lisa Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2004, 09:01 PM   #5
Wrangler

You will not be very happy with the little Sony light. It is very uneven illumination and quite low power. It also only powers directly from Sony's intelligent hot shoe.

For quick and dirty light, I really like the Sunpak CZ-200A. Uses Sony style nicad batteries and has an automatic mode that works reasonably well. Manual mode when you want all the power. Has a wide to tele adjustment. Folds so save space. 20 watts at max.

The new Sony lights that use their LiOn batteries seems to please it owners. A bit more expensive to own because of the batteries and charger that you may not own.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management