110/220 Volts - what issues to be aware of? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old April 19th, 2009, 12:49 AM   #1
Wrangler

110/220 Volts - what issues to be aware of?

What issues are involved when dealing with different 110/220 outlet voltages? I will be traveling, and would like to bring some Lowel lights with me. The lights & bulbs were purchased in the U.S.

Thank you for any advice.
Old April 19th, 2009, 01:15 AM   #2
Major Player

Sounds like they're tungsten units. You'll need 220v bulbs to change out to when you're in a 220v country. These kind of bulbs are hooked directly to the line voltage and thus depend upon that being the right one for what they are rated for. And forget transformers, with the kinds of wattage we deal in, its far better just to change out the bulb. You may also need a plug adapter which is a mechanical thing to adapt your American plug to whatever plug they use in the countries you go to. Sometimes you can find a bag of common adapters at travel stores. If they try to sell you the transformer thats commonly used for hair dryers though, you don't need that.
Richard Andrewski - Cool Lights USA - RED #114
http://www.coollights.biz

Last edited by Richard Andrewski; April 19th, 2009 at 09:20 AM.
Richard Andrewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2009, 02:33 AM   #3
Trustee

yea - take care, 110v gear gets upset when you just 'plug er in'. Some years ago I worked for a company that bought over a driving simulator from the states and it was set up in a conference room to try out - the handyman noticed that the plug was different so he kindly 'fixed it' with some pliers and 'plugged er in'. I can still remember hearing the bang and screaming abuse at the guy.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management