DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old April 30th, 2009, 03:06 PM   #1
Major Player

Lighting DVDs/Seminars

My boss is wanting me to look into some training on lighting. We have about 5 people on staff who are involved in the various shoots we do, all but one has some level of experience. We're looking at getting a few DVDs/sets that would help those of us with some experience pick up some tricks and tips (and serve as kind of a refresher) and also something a little more basics for new hires and that sort of thing. I've gleaned the following from these forums from some really old threads... just wondering what the general consensus is and which of these would possibly fit our needs better than others... I'm leaning towards the Power of Light series and also the DVCreators as a more basic course. Does that sound about right?

Also, can anyone recommend any seminars/workshops that would be worth scheduling/taking a trip to do?

Tom Musto Productions

DV Enlightenment at DVcreators.net

Visions of Light: The Art of Cinematography:

Amazon.com: Visions of Light: The Art of Cinematography: Néstor Almendros, John Bailey, Stephen H. Burum, Michael Chapman, Allen Daviau, Caleb Deschanel, Ernest R. Dickerson, William A. Fraker, Conrad L. Hall, László Kovács, Charles Lang, Todd McCart

Power of Lighting - they have both workshops to attend and DVDs for purchase:

Power of Lighting Workshops
Power of Lighting Videos on DVD

VASST Training Videos:

VASST - Lighting and Directing Bundle

Birns & Sawyer:

Birns and Sawyer, Inc. - Film and Video Camera Sales and Rentals
Birns and Sawyer, Inc. - Film and Video Camera Sales and Rentals

Elite Video:

Digital Lighting Magic Videos on 3 DVDs - learn the secrets of the top lighting pros
Old May 6th, 2009, 02:29 PM   #2
Major Player

Help? Anyone?
Old May 9th, 2009, 11:38 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Dooley View Post
Help? Anyone?
"How to setup, light and shoot great looking interviews" from Vortex Media does exactly what it says on the tin. It's pretty basic but that may be what your guys are looking for.

If you're looking for high-key, mixed colour temp, chromakey, stylised or dutch angle stuff, look elsewhere. But for solid technique and traditional looks, IMHO it's great.

I wish Jonathan Harrison (UK DoP, does a lot of extremely popular demos at various exhibitions) would do a DVD. I've learned a great deal just from seeing him at expos. Bit too far away for your purposes, though.
Old May 13th, 2009, 12:10 PM   #4
Trustee

Matt beat me to it. I've been a videographer for 20 years now and I still learned quite a few things from the Vortex Media DVD "How to setup, light and shoot great looking interviews". Doug is a really great no-nonsense instructor.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management