Comer On-Camera LED Lights - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old August 19th, 2009, 10:31 PM   #31
Regular Crew

I just got a Comer 900, and am really impressed. The light is much brighter than I anticipated and the build quality is solid. I will likely be testing it this Friday at a wedding. I am very glad to have it before this wedding. I almost went cheap and am glad I didn't.

I must say that I am very pleased with Taky, and his customer service. I emailed him a couple of days ago and told him I needed a light before Thursday. He said that since I had a shoot on Friday, he would test everything before shipping and make sure that everything was in working order. He shipped right away and I got the light today.

I appreciate the personal service. I also ordered some other odds and ends from a large dealer the same day and they were far less than helpful (as usual).

I hate to sound like a cheerleader, but I am impressed.
Mike Petrucco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 11:32 PM   #32
Major Player

I'll second Taky's amazing customer service - when I mentioned in a post here that I'd dropped my light and bent one of the barn doors he replied that he had the replacement parts and could send them if I needed them. Before I had a chance to let him know if I did I got a paypal shipping notice and had a pair of new barndoors a couple days later. I'm not sure I've ever had that kind of customer service anywhere else!

As for the light I'm continually impressed. We shot a 48 hour film this past weekend where we were running around a lot and shooting in a variety of existing lighting situations. The Comer 1800 was really useful - we just had one person carrying it around most of the time and they'd get into position and dial in just enough fill to look natural with the existing light.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 07:57 AM   #33
Regular Crew

Comer 900 - Wow!

I received my Comer 900 from Taky yesterday. All I can say is - Wow!

I just did a quick tryout last night with it mounted on my Sony hdr-xr500. I used it on the brightest setting with the diffuser and color filter barn doors flipped out of the way. I couldn't believe how evenly the light spread with no diffuser. My black cat was laying on my black computer tower under my black desk. In total darkness with only the computer monitor for illumination, the camera couldn't lock focus at all. Flipped on the 900 and had a perfect shot of my kitty, who crankily complained about having a bright light disrupting her beauty sleep.

I have a shoot coming up soon that involves going through some local homes that have been gutted due to the Chinese drywall problems we've been having here in Florida. I was worried how I was going to illuminate places like the attics. Looks like I'll be covered!

Also, add me to the list of Taky fans. I also ordered a Comer 1800 for my HVR-V1U last week and the light was DOA. Within an hour of my e-mail to him about the faulty 1800, Taky sent me a pre-paid shipping label to send it back. No hassle. I wish all online vendors had such excellent customer service!
Sherri Nestico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2009, 12:28 PM   #34
Inner Circle

Michael,

I am now starting to use the NP-F770 battery with the Comer light. It's a lot less heavy and still last about 2 to 2.5 hrs. You might want to give it a try.
Taky Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2009, 01:25 PM   #35
Trustee

I have been using the 770 battery for quite sometime.

But the overall size and weight of the light is still a slight problem here and there. Mainly it's the overall size of the light.

Don't get me wrong I love the output of the light, but it doesn't make it any smaller.
This was the biggest complaint by many who used the Sony HVL lights.
Again, just an observation.

Last edited by Michael Liebergot; September 15th, 2009 at 01:57 PM.
Michael Liebergot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2009, 03:20 PM   #36
Inner Circle

I'm actually now using Comer 900 light during the day at weddings that I need to run around and do interviews because of the light weight and size. It doesn't have a dimmer switch so I taped a piece of foam paper on the top diffuser gel. It works very well when doing interviews. Then at night, I switch to 1800 as I don't have to move much in reception (and need more light in receiption too).

Now I'm also using a second 1800 light on a light stand. It gives really good lighting and more dynamic scene as the light is off axis. Very pleasent result. I will post some shots soon.
Old September 16th, 2009, 09:25 AM   #37
Inner Circle

The Comer 900 light now comes with a carrying case. There is also a Comer 900 Starter Kit that comes with a charger and battery.
Old September 16th, 2009, 11:14 AM   #38
Major Player

I wish this light (or any LED) accepts Canon 5D2 batteries. That camera has been around for almost a year and despite the popularity I still don't see any battery plates. I would like to suggest that to the manufacturer but I can't find a website or any info. This also makes me wary because what happens if it needs repair? Where do you send it back to?
Min Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2009, 10:53 AM   #39
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taky Cheung View Post
The Comer 900 light now comes with a carrying case. There is also a Comer 900 Starter Kit that comes with a charger and battery.
Taky, the only reason that I wouldn't consider the Comer900 is that it doesn't have a dimmer and uses a 2 switch light output control.

I swore a long time ago that I would never purchase a light without a dimmer again. As I like to be able to vary the light output from my lights so evenly, which a dimmer provides.

If Comer made the 900 with a dimmer, I would probably buy it in a second. Maybe you could suggest this to them.
Old September 17th, 2009, 01:15 PM   #40
Inner Circle

Michael, yes I agreed with you. It's a bummer the Comer 900 light doesn't have a dimmer. I already suggested to them. =)

I put together a video with the 900 light and with the trick that I did. It works well for me even without the dimmer. Comer CM-LBPS900 LED Light | L.A. Color Blog
Old September 17th, 2009, 01:39 PM   #41
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taky Cheung View Post
Michael, yes I agreed with you. It's a bummer the Comer 900 light doesn't have a dimmer. I already suggested to them. =)

I put together a video with the 900 light and with the trick that I did. It works well for me even without the dimmer. Comer CM-LBPS900 LED Light | L.A. Color Blog
Yeah I saw this video and while it's a good and creative idea, it doesn't solve my need and preference for a dimmer.

Thanks though. As I said I am on the lookout for a good small form factor self powered LED light, and the Comer900 almost fit the bill. The leader right now for small form factor and self powered is the Switronix Torchled LED light. And while I do like the small form factor and output (about 30-40 watts) with dimmer. The only thing that I'm so so on with it is that while it's self powered with it's own battery, it isn't the fastest to swap out to a new battery if needed.

So I guess the search continues.

In the meantime I will continue to use, and use a lot, my Comer 1800 lights. I am trying to see if I can find a way to wire the Comer 1800's to take a remote control so I can power them on and off while mounted on light stands. If I can find a way, then I will definitely be adding several more Comer 1800's (I currently have 2) to my arsenal.

As I currently use 2 NRG Varalux light on light stands that are controlled with remote controls. But the only pain in the butt, is that I power them with two large Bescor Battery belts (18 lbs. ea.), that are a royal pain to take on shoots.

Having the ability to use the Comer 1800's remotely on light stands and only need small

Anyone out there know how to make remotes for the Sony HVL-LBP/Comer 1800 LED lights?
Old September 17th, 2009, 05:07 PM   #42
Major Player

The Comer 1800 comes with a couple of lead wires to hook up to an external battery of some type, maybe someone can tell me what kind of battery those lead wires are meant to work with. Seems hooking up a remote control would just be a matter to splicing the receiver into one of the wires to the external battery.
Galen Rath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2009, 05:30 PM   #43
Inner Circle

Comer 1800 comes with 2 D-Tap cable to connect with external battery pack like anton bauer. Having control on/off remotely would be sweet.
Old November 12th, 2009, 07:18 AM   #44
New Boot

I just shot a 6 hour event in a hall with a Comer LBPS900 and it worked great.

The 900 is the smaller version of the 1800 and it has a switch for only 2 brightness settings. I only had to use the low light setting with diffusion as that was enough to help balance my exposure when I needed more light.

Everyone talks about the 1800 for good reason. But if you wanted a smaller lighter version of it, with enough power to light up a dark room, then I highly recommend the 900.
Ravi Kumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 01:17 PM   #45
Inner Circle

This is the wedding I did earlier this year that I use the Comer 1800 lights for the first time. As you can see from the photos, the room is very dark with only several uplights around.
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/1145889-post12.html

This is their wedding highlights video
LA Color - Wedding Photography and Videography serving Great Los Angeles Areas

It is a very extreme situation. During the ceremony, it backlight pretty bad. Half way through, it's night time. If I don't have the lights with me, the event won't be the same. Check out this Vimeo video. I turned off the light pointing at the live band. It's really dark.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management