DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old May 26th, 2009, 04:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Need Information on Shoe Mounted Lighting

Hey guys, I am currently in the market for a cheap, quality on camera light for my XLH1. I am shooting a nightclub/party documentary style project and I just need a light that will illuminate the crowd/room so that it is at least decently visible. Most of the time the places I am shooting in are dark, low lit bars etc...

I have searched around a bit but I have no experience with these kinds of lights.

This one has caught my eye so far, anyone know anything about it?:

Bescor | MX-601 On Camera 6 VDC Light - 20 or 40 Watt | MX601

I need it to be shoe mounted, preferably run off of battery power, and be compatible with the XLH1.

p.s.- I also don't want a light that will be blinding to people. I am trying to be as inconspicuous as possible with these shoots, although I realize that might be a little impossible. haha

Thanks guys.
Anthony Schneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 04:37 PM   #2
Inner Circle

There are numerous lights that will do the job. The Bescor you mentioned, the Sony 10/20, the LP Micro or better yet the LP Pro (I think that's it-it's new), Frezziand Lowell also have good gear and they are all shoe mountable. There is of course the budget. What you want to spend is a big factor of course but what ever you get except for an adjustable LED type light make sure you throw either a softbox or some sort of diffusion on it to soften it up a bit. Tough Spun is a good choice.
Old May 26th, 2009, 04:59 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks a lot Don! I'd say my price range as of now is about 50 bucks so I am probably going to go with the Bescor. Is there anywhere in Chicago where I can purchase that light instead of ordering online? I'd like to be able to walk in without it and walk out with it.
Anthony Schneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 05:41 PM   #4
Inner Circle

None that I know of which really bites. You'd think a city the size of Chicago would have at least 1 big video store but alas, B&H gets my money. Hey they can deliver quick and have a great return policy.
Good luck
Old May 26th, 2009, 07:43 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Anthony,

You did see that the Bescor you linked to requires a battery separate from your camera right? That's going to put you over the $50 mark. I really think $100 is a more reasonable budget for a lower-end camera light.

Alec Moreno
http://www.1Day1ShotProductions.com
Alec Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 09:16 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Good catch. I forgot all about that. But a Bescor with a small juice box can be had for a small price - at 50W it would run 75 minutes at 40W I'd guess about 90.

OK here's something that might work for you.
Bescor MX-600 6 VDC On-Camera Light - 20 Watt or 40 Watt SelectableMfr# MX600 B&H# BEMX600 $39.95

X-645 6 VDC Lead-Acid Battery and BC-665 Charger for MX-600 and MX-601 Light Housings
Mfr# X645 B&H Catalog # BEX645 $39.95

So for about $80 you get the 20-40W light with a battery and charger. I had one of the batteries for quite a while - about 4 years before it died on me.
I don't think you'll find anything for less that'll do the job.
Old May 26th, 2009, 09:37 PM   #7
Regular Crew

thanks again don. I will definitely look at those lights.
Anthony Schneider is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management