Testing the Comer CM-LBPS1800 LED Lights at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old June 19th, 2009, 06:23 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Testing the Comer CM-LBPS1800 LED Lights

I did an 6 On-camera Video Light Shootout before. There are requests to shoot some sample videos using the Comer lights on actual human being. The video was shot with Canon XH-A1s + Canon WD-H72 Wide Angle Lens Adapter. Setting at Shutter Speed 1/60 and Gain at 0db.

I put together 3 videos together.

You can view the videos in my blog.

I also used 3 Comer lights for a 3-point light setup too.
Old June 19th, 2009, 06:45 PM   #2
Major Player

Long time no see, Taky. You might want to fix your link. There's some booboo's there ;)
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2009, 06:46 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Hey Bill, good to see you here too! Thanks for the msg and I fixed the link =)
Old June 20th, 2009, 02:02 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taky Cheung View Post
I did an 6 On-camera Video Light Shootout before. There are requests to shoot some sample videos using the Comer lights on actual human being. The video was shot with Canon XH-A1s + Canon WD-H72 Wide Angle Lens Adapter. Setting at Shutter Speed 1/60 and Gain at 0db.

I put together 3 videos together.

You can view the videos in my blog.

I also used 3 Comer lights for a 3-point light setup too.
Good job on the videos Taky - certainly demonstrates this is one powerful light. If you compare the photometric tables I believe it is at least twice if not 3 times as bright as the Sony HVL-LBP. I am very pleased with my Comer 1800. Thanks for making it available in US market.
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2009, 09:55 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Barry, thanks for your nice comment. I'm glad the comer lights work well for you. It is indeed a great light.. so far the best on-camera light I have ever used.
Old June 24th, 2009, 06:36 PM   #6
Major Player

Taky, the light is secured to the hot shoe a little differently than I have seen before, as the tightening to the hot shoe is done by the bolt on the light than screws down against the hot shoe (instead of a plastic surface on the light that lowers and presses again the top of the hot shoe). The instructions say that this can damage an intelligent hot shoe, so I am not comfortable grinding the bolt tip down into the metal contact on the hot shoe of my XH-A1. I am thinking I will want to find a go-between joint to prevent possible damage. Comments?
Galen Rath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2009, 06:48 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Galen, I was talking to another member today about this mounting of the light. This could be something to try

Delvcam | The DELV-CM 1/4-20 to Shoe Mount Adapter | DELV-CM

I have used the light on HV30 which has a hot shoe. I don't think any regular use will have any damage to the hot shoe contact unless you apply excessive force. Of course you can try other methods to mount the light. Or use a flash bracket like this

Video and Sound Bracket

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management