Can you build on the JTL Everlight kit? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old January 8th, 2005, 02:54 PM   #31
Major Player

Jeffrey, that price is too high. Even if they swapped the bulbs for you. I would contact the people at the link I posted earlier in this thread and see what they can do for you. You may have to purchase additional 240v bulbs, as Carlos mentioned, if the retailer cannot supply them. That should be no problem. And you will need adapter plugs, which are pretty cheap.

BTW, do not purchase any lights with built-in fans. They are too noisy to use with sound recording.

Let me contact someone I know who has used the JTL kit in foreign countries and see what he says. Give me a day or two.

Wayne Orr, SOC
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2005, 02:28 PM   #32
Major Player

OK, Jeffrey, here is the info regarding the 240V bulbs. My source recommends " any store that sells the Ushio lamps for that kit will also
sell 240v stuff._ What I use is the Ushio Halogen Lamp JCV240V-500WBM.
I got this rare lamp through Light Bulb Supply Company at 2010 Delgany
St. Denver Colorado (303)295-1800._"
Ushio bulbs are used in the JTL kit, but you are welcome to use other brands of similar style. The standard bulbs from Ushio are EHD 500 with the G9.5 base.

One reader of this forum recommends using using FLK 575 bulbs, which are rated at 3200K instead of the EHD bulbs which are 3000K. The 3000K bulbs will give a slightly warmer appearance if you use the pre-set white balance setting. You can do a manual white balance to correct for the lower Kelvin temperature, if you wish. At any rate, the member found these 3200K bulbs at Production Advantage. (http://www.productionadvantageonline.com/) The downside is, the 3200K bulbs have a much shorter life than the 3000K bulbs.

Another reputable source for the JTL Everlight kit is Adorama. They are a large store and may be willing to work with you on the 240V bulbs. Not sure.

Hopefully you will let us know if everything works out well for you, because there has been some interest in this kit from others across the pond.

HTH

Wayne Orr, SOC
Old January 9th, 2005, 04:58 PM   #33
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Wayne Orr :
BTW, do not purchase any lights with built-in fans. They are too noisy to use with sound recording.

Wayne Orr, SOC -->>>

Wayne,

I agree about the fans and video use. However, one of the JTL kits offered on the above referenced site has two of the large 500w softboxes and a 3rd smaller 500w hairlight that does use a cooling fan. Just wanted to point out that the motor would not run quite as fast at 50hz. Would be interesting to see exactly what they change out in the kit for overseas use that justifies the price difference.

BTW Wayne, thanks for that link. Looks like a good price for that kit.

regards,

=gb=
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2005, 03:24 PM   #34
New Boot

JTL corp priced at $650

Thank you all for your replies. I am now talking to adoramma via email about the combination wayne is suggesting.

I will let you know how it turns out.

Jeffrey
Jeffrey Levenstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2005, 05:51 AM   #35
Trustee

Just one

I might be willing to buy a JTL light. Not a kit, just one head with tripod.

Which model should I look for, where in NY and how much would be it?

Is there a JTL speed-ring I can use on a Desisti/Ianiro open faced Cosmobeam type?

Carlos
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2005, 07:54 PM   #36
Major Player

New JTL Everlight kit

I took a look at JTL's website, which has been updated to include some new items, including a kit with a boom and hairlight that replaces one of the standard softboxes and stand. This would be a dynamite kit for one hundred bucks more than the standard kit, except it lists a light with a fan for the hairlight. Could be that the narrow hairlight softbox gets too hot and needs the fan to disperse the heat. Too bad, since the fan units are killers for sound recording. Anyway, here is a link to see what's going on with the kits:

http://www.jtlcorp.com/red/everlightkit.html

If you are looking to get an idea of prices, here is a link to a retail outlet:

http://www.photography-lighting.com/...-Lighting.html

BTW, JTL makes a lot of gear for the still photog also, and there are some reviews of their gear at their site. And, yes, you can buy the boom as a separate item and mount a regular JTL softbox on it. As a matter of fact, you could mount most any medium sized lamp on the boom, like the LTM Pepper 420.

Wayne Orr, SOC
Old August 13th, 2005, 04:04 PM   #37
Major Player

300 watt bulb for JTL Everlights

One minor annoyance with the JTL Everlight Kit has been the lack of bulbs available below the standard 500 watts that ship with the kits. 500 watts is a bit more output than necessary with today's light sensitive cameras, and a lower wattage bulb would come in handy for portrait lighting.

I did a rather extensive search and found a 300w bulb that will fit in the JTL Everlight lamp housing. It has a GY9.5 base, which is slightly thicker than the standard G9.5 base used in the Everlights, however, the prongs are the same distance apart and slip easily into the Everlight base. I tested the bulb in the lamp for over an hour with no problems, and don't know why they shouldn't work just fine. The bulbs are standard FKW halogen lamps, rated at 3200K, and are used in many motion picture industry lamps, such as Mole-Richardson Betweenies. and they are priced very reasonably at Bulb Connection for $14.00 plus shipping. Here is a link:

http://www.bulbconnection.com/ViewIt.../FKW/item.html

As an intersting side note, these bulbs are shorter than the EHD lamps that ship with the Everlight Kits, and will allow you to mount those plastic lamp casings over them, unlike the EGD bulbs, which are too long.

However, it should be noted that I am not an qualified electrician, and my comments regarding use of this bulb should not be considered a recommendation. This is merely for informational purposes, and I welcome any comments from qualified parties.

Wayne Orr, SOC
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management