Questions for Richard or NE1 - Chimera 8000 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old April 2nd, 2004, 12:14 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Questions for Richard or NE1 - Chimera 8000

Howdy. I just purchased the Chimera 8000 kit. I'm new at this, so please forgive the newby questions.

I'm using the 500 Watt bulb that came in the kit. How important is it to leave the top and bottom flaps on the softbox open? Will this increase the lamp life?

I can't seem to find any info about the lamp. How many hours is it rated for? Also what is a good (cheap) source to buy a replacement bulb?

Richard, I sent you an email. Please ignore it, fixed the problem.

Thanks,

Joe
Joe Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2004, 03:30 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Joe,
I've used this kit on a few projects and like it. I leave the top flap loose or open to minimize heat buildup within the box. I doubt that this affects lamp life, but I could be wrong.
I purchased my spare bulb from B&H at $35.95. Webb Cam, a shop in Philadelphia, carries them and may charge a few dollars less. Webb Cam's phone number is 215 923 8380.
I don't have any data on the bulb life. You might try calling Chimera and asking them. I had a couple of questions when I first got the kit, and found the customer support person I spoke with knowledgeable and helpful.
-- Allen
Allen Brodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2004, 09:42 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info Allen. I did some more digging around and found a couple other places that had the bulbs. A place called Speciality Optical Systems has them listed for $16.80. Looks like a good deal if you need some spares. They are at:
http://www.specialtyoptical.com/catalog/ushio_jcv120v-500wgb_1785734.htm

I was wondering about keeping the flaps open, it seems to throw a lot of light out the back with both top and bottom open. It's good to know I can safely close it up.

Thanks.
Joe Collins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management