T - O - T - A Toooota at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old April 24th, 2004, 01:49 AM   #1
Wrangler

T - O - T - A Toooota

A few questions about the Lowel Tota lights for the gang, if you could indulge me?

a) Does the light have a build in umbrella holder? Ok, a hole that you can stick the end of an umbrella in? Is it a standard hole?

b) What type of bulbs does it take specificaly? If I was going to order them from somewhere, what type would I ask for. I know they come in multiple wattages.

c) Hmm... Thats it I think.
Old April 24th, 2004, 01:24 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Dylan,
Yeah, the Tota does indeed have a hole with a tightening screw that's very handy. I don't know what a standard size would be, but it fits my photoflex umbrellas just fine. Being set to the side, the hole is at an angle so you can use as much area on the umbrella as possible. As far as lamps, I've used 300w and 750w. I believe there's a 500w as well. They are standard size halogens, like you could find at a hardware store, although the ones that are designed for video and film have a color temperature of 3200k.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2004, 02:42 PM   #3
Trustee

Yes the Tota does have a slot for a filter frame or an umbrella. It's wise to buy a "Lobo' bracket to mount the umbrella. It's sometimes tough to tighten the yoke so the light and unbrella don't slide. Lorne Lapham should have them, if not here's the link.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=search&Q=&b=61&shs=lobo&ci=1&ac=&Submit.x=8&Submit.y=12

R7 halogen bulbs The following are 3200K Any R7 lamp will do The cheaper work lite bulbs are very long life (3000 hrs) but 2900-3100 K. Thgis isn't a big deal with manual light balance. Even left at 3200K the scene will just be a touch warm.
US pricing
EMD 750 watt - $18
FWM (HIR) Gives as much light as a 1000 watt bulb 650 watt -$25
FDN 500 watt - $14
EHZ 300 watt -$9.50
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2004, 08:57 PM   #4
Wrangler

Perfect!

Thanks guys.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 09:09 AM   #5
Major Player

Dylan, there's also a 600 watt available through B & H.
Marcia Janine Galles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2004, 09:16 AM   #6
Wrangler

The lamps also come in clear and frosted envelopes. Makes them a bit softer when you use the frosted-type.
Old May 24th, 2004, 08:52 AM   #7
Wrangler

Hey guys.

I ended up buying three Tota lights (and stands, and cords, and scrims....) to compliment my lighting kit.

Now I need to know...

How do you attach a softbox to these things?
Old May 24th, 2004, 10:18 AM   #8
Major Player

Dylan, I use the medium Photoflex Silverdome. (I probably could've gotten away with a small, but my thinking was that the bigger size would have a broader, softer light... and it really is a beautiful light at that.) To attach the Silverdome to the Tota you need an adapter ring, available at B & H (and lots of other places). It's a bit of a screwy looking contraption in my book, but it works great, when you have it set up correctly. And I've gotten pretty speedy at it, at this point. My advice though, if you go that route, comes from Bryan Beasleigh on these boards, which is to file a small notch on the brass post the Tota fits onto (on the adapter ring), to add a little additional security as you tighten the screw down. That way the flat top part of the screw is tightening down on a small flat surface on the post, as opposed to an angled edge on the post. Much snugger fit.

Best of luck,
Marcia
Old May 24th, 2004, 10:20 AM   #9
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

You will need to buy a "speed ring" for the Tota. Here's one from Photoflex. It's a collar that facilitates insertion of the soft box's stay rods.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2004, 11:16 AM   #10
Major Player

Wow... technology marches on. The new model is a giant leap forward compared to the old one I have. Good to know, Ken. (Course, at that price, I'm keeping my old one for some time to come.)
Old May 24th, 2004, 01:17 PM   #11
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Ken Tanaka : You will need to buy a "speed ring" for the Tota. Here's one from Photoflex. It's a collar that facilitates insertion of the soft box's stay rods. -->>>

Ah!
Thanks Ken! I looked for one on the Lowel site and didn't find one so thought there might be something else for them.

Thanks to Marcia and Brian as well for the tip on filing down a screw notch. Good idea.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management