using regular house bulbs - problems? (color temperature) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old May 27th, 2004, 04:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

using regular house bulbs - problems? (color temperature)

I have the Panasonic AG-DVX100AE.

I will go back to Europe and I will do a few shoots over there.

What are the commong problems when using regular house bulbs and not photo bulbs? I know they are not color temperature balanced, and they are underrun (probably around 2800-2900k). Won't the frequent manual white balance solve all the problems? Is the lower color temperature a problem for the white balanced video also, or is it a problem ONLY for film (celluloid)?

I also plan to bring with me color temperature correction gels, for the windows or for the lights themselves. Is there a problem if I gel the windows (to 3200K with the CTO) but i use house bulbs inside?

What if I gel the house bulbs? Can they be brought up to 3200K?

So many questions... sorry guys... but I am leaving US in three days. I'd like to get some advice. Thank you!

Bogdan
Bogdan Apetri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2004, 06:13 PM   #2
Barry Wan Kenobi

Do a manual white balance before you shoot, and you should have no problems whatsoever.

If you want to mix household lamps and professional tungsten light sources, and you want all the lights to match on color, you can gel the household lamps with some light CTB gel... probably 1/4, maybe 1/8, to bring them up to 3200k.

If you shoot at 3200k, but leave the bulbs alone, they'll have a very, very mild orange/gold glow to them, which can actually look quite nice.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2004, 10:53 AM   #3
Trustee

The eye can detect about 100 - 150 deg K difference but only as a slightly warmer light. Warmth isn't a bad thing and may be a mood enhancer. White balance for the highest color temp tungsten and work with the warmer glow from the lamps. If there are only practicals (existing tungsten) do a manual white balance on them.

Many people use "warming cards" to give a soft warmth to the picture so i don't see a big deal in a minor color temp difference.
It's not going to come out orange like daylight film does.
Old June 18th, 2004, 02:10 PM   #4
Regular Crew

How do GE's Reveal bulbs work compared to the usual household bulbs? The Reveal bulbs are supposed to cut the orangish cast of the usual tungsten bulbs.
Jim Schweer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management