Brand recommendation: Collapsible Reflectors? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old June 19th, 2004, 08:14 PM   #1
Wrangler

Brand recommendation: Collapsible Reflectors?

Any recommendations for a particular brand of collapsible reflectors?

Notes:
I was going to pick up a 5-in-1 set at B&H.
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2004, 09:14 PM   #2
Major Player

Be careful of the inexpensive 5 in 1 reflectors. The covers don't always fit tightly. With out a tight fit the reflections go all over the place.

I'm a Westcott Illuminator fan.
Patrick Gault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2004, 10:21 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I picked up a 32" 5-in-1 reflector on Ebay for about $35 including shipping. I was really surprised with the quality.

"I like Mankato just a little bit better than any other town in the world." -Sinclair Lewis
Ryan Gohlinghorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2004, 12:36 PM   #4
Wrangler

Regardless of brand, make sure that whichever one you get has a white side. Silver and gold have their uses (they are more punchy than white, good for distance or extreme contrast) but white delivers the most "natural" effect.
Old June 20th, 2004, 10:40 PM   #5
Barry Wan Kenobi

Agreed. I use a couple of PhotoFlex 5-in-1's, and I don't think I've ever used the gold or silver/gold side. Silver's good and white's good, but the translucent silk-like version gets a lot of use too. I wish that instead of full-gold, it had a black side. That would make it overall more useful.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2004, 12:28 AM   #6
Wrangler

What does the silver/gold panel look like, Barry? Is it checkerboard?
Old June 21st, 2004, 08:29 AM   #7
Regular Crew

The silver/gold side looks more like thin strips of each woven together. I usually use that as my fill for interview setups. It just slightly warms things up a bit.

"I like Mankato just a little bit better than any other town in the world." -Sinclair Lewis
Ryan Gohlinghorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2004, 11:26 AM   #8
Wrangler

Right. I haven't used the disc versions, but I use a "checkerboard lame" (sorry, I'm not good at doing foreign-language accents, and I don't quite know how that one is written anyway--just pronounce it "la-may" and it will hopefully make sense) on 12x12 or 20x20 frames sometimes. The nice thing with this combo is that the cool and the warm sort of neutralize each other, and you end up with a punchier fill than you can get from a white bounce, which is useful in limited sunlight.

Barry brought up an excellent point, which is the need of a black side (aka solid). I use such a thing regularly as negative fill, something that everyone should explore if they haven't already. Sometimes it's not about adding light, it's about subtracting the existing light--shooting in flat light (such as cloudy mid-day) can give you nice saturated, even tones in video, but if you want to model it a bit, bringing a solid close to one side of an actor's face to knock down the exposure can be really beautiful and elegant.
Old June 21st, 2004, 12:53 PM   #9
Major Player

Lastolite are the best I've used...mine were bought in 1982 and are still going strong...

regards

Gareth
Gareth Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2004, 05:02 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I haven't bought the 5 in 1's, but I picked up some of the double sided silver/gold refletors off eBay dirt cheap.

I think I paid 20.00 for a 42" reflector.

Otherwise I use the big "show cards" that I purchase locally. Unfortunately those are a little more delicate and require special handling.
Steve Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2004, 06:17 PM   #11
New Boot

I use a mix of Photoflex discs and art board/foil for oversized locales. I've found the discs have held up pretty well; I have a 22" white/gold one I started using when I was doing still portrait photography in the 80s that I still use today. The gold side has some rub-off but not enough to make it unuseable. The only nit to pick is the old Photoflex disc cases were a much stronger cordura than the ones they ship now.
Pete Brady is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management