ONCAM light for weddings at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old July 14th, 2004, 03:13 PM   #1
New Boot

ONCAM light for weddings

I'm looking for a camera mountable light for weddings. I've read a lot of the threads and have looked into both the Sony 10/20 and the Bescor that Don Bloom mentions. Do you have to create diffusion for these lights or can you buy it as an accessory? I've seen softbox mentioned a few times...

I have a PD170 and have been pretty happy with the low light, but there are times that I'd definitely like to have a little more light pumped in, and I have not been thrilled with the "gain" look.

Thoughts?
Emily Rumsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2004, 03:55 PM   #2
Inner Circle

B&H has some small soft boxes by Photoflex and Lumiquest as well as Chimera or you can do what I did and make 1. I've been using it for about 21/2 years and so far so good. No color shift and it really knocks down the useable wattage but still gives me the opportunity to go to a full 50W if the need arises.

Go to BHPHOTO.com>professional video>on camera lighting>accessories. The softboxes should be in there.
Don B.
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2004, 05:33 PM   #3
New Boot

it seems like the wedding videographers are saying that 50w is plenty, or even too much...yet a lot of the oncam lights at B & H are over 50. would i need any higher in the darkest possible scenario?
Emily Rumsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2004, 07:44 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I really doubt it. I rarely even use 50W. You'll notice the many of the 100 watters are dimmable. As an example, last saturday I did an outdoor wedding and reception. They did their 1st dance at 9:30PM which here means DARK! They wanted to do it late so all the guests could hold sparklers. There was no moon or stars out and it was very very dark. MY 50W with the diffusion to bring it to 20 was plenty. Of course I had set the gain to 12db and was wide open with the iris but the image quality is really good.

Again I rarely use the full 50W.

Don B
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2004, 10:28 PM   #5
Wrangler

Just to provide a counter point, I'll say that I've had to use 100 watts through a softbox in a room that was lit by colored neon. I had to use that much power to give the faces even a chance of looking half-way normal.

Some of the cameras that are in use for weddings really need more than 50 watts when the light is dimmed by a softbox.
Old July 14th, 2004, 10:32 PM   #6
Old Boot

20 watt Paglight

Works for me .. .

http://cnb-host4.clickandbuild.com/c...ther_info-null

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2004, 05:49 PM   #7
Major Player

Emily,
Check out LitePanels (www.litepanels.com). No heat, fully dimmable, one of the smartest designs for an on-cam light I've seen. They're on the expensive side, but still worth a look.
Matt Irwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2004, 10:57 PM   #8
New Boot

Sony HVL-20DW2 on 170?

Will the Sony HVL-20DW2 work on the PD 170? I see that it works on the 2100.

Bob
Bob Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2006, 09:41 PM   #9
Major Player

I am finding that HVL-20DW2 overheats when the both bulbs are used for 10 minutes or so. After I turned the light off and replaced the battery I still could not get the light to turn on. I stood there blowing on it and luckily it started to work again for the parents dances.

I am thinking about buying something else.

Has anyone else with this light had this problem?
Richard Zlamany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2006, 10:00 PM   #10
Major Player

Litepanels

Is a beautiful light; I have the spot version, daylight, but it works very nicely inside with CTO and a diffusers of varying strengths that come with the DV Pak.

The one drawback, even with lighter NP570 batteries, is the mounting: is it is heavy and makes my Z1 noseheavy as well. I also have the articulated arm,which allows you to aim the light off center, but it is ungainly and adds still more weight. Might be OK on a full size rig.

Light works well directly on top of the camera, and really can heat up a four or five-foot area, but I think the arm, in addition to being a little awkward, will eventually put a lot of stress and strain on the hot shoe mount.

Overall I it very much especially as a fill light for interviews. It really brings up the eyes. I use it on a very small Manfrotto Aluminunm stand and it really makes a nice presence, especially with the dim feature, which does not change the color temperature. A pair of well-charged NP570 batteries mounted directly on the back of the light should easily last an hour.
Jack D. Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2006, 09:45 AM   #11
Trustee

If you want something small(ish) and very adaptable take a look at the Zylight. Around the same price as the Litepanel but more even light and the CT is adjustable via presets. Unfortunately at the moment demand is way exceeding supply.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2006, 07:18 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Zlam
I am finding that HVL-20DW2 overheats when the both bulbs are used for 10 minutes or so. After I turned the light off and replaced the battery I still could not get the light to turn on. I stood there blowing on it and luckily it started to work again for the parents dances.

I am thinking about buying something else.

Has anyone else with this light had this problem?
Richard, what else did you decide to go with? I need an on-camera light ASAP. I was looking into this light, but it doesn't sound too good. I am clueless when it comes to lighting so I need recommendations. I need it for additional light at wedding receptions. I am using the Sony VX2100. With it's good low-light capabilities, I don't think I need anything too powerful. But then again, I don't really know.
Andrea Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 04:30 AM   #13
Regular Crew

I'm looking at getting the Lowell ID light...the iLight is good and an attractive price, but is not dimmable...any dimmable light will be decent...you'll just be limited in accessory options...the Lowel stuff is used a lot...even by photographers at weddings...

Paul
Paul Cypert is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management