where to get 3200K 48" Florencent Tubes at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old July 22nd, 2004, 04:41 PM   #1
Regular Crew

where to get 3200K 48" Florencent Tubes

I do weekly city concil meetings as part of my job doing video production for a city goverment station and i'm trying to get them to look a little better. since were stuck with using the room lighting for the meetings I would like to get it so all my lights are at least the same temp. does anyone know where I could locate such items I've been told thier available but not sure where to look.
Jon Kamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2004, 08:18 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I bought a whole load at Home Depot.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2004, 05:17 PM   #3
Major Player

Gints: You found 3200K tubes at Home Depot? With no green spike?

Jon: You can find 3000-3500K tubes at almost any light bulb/ electrical/ hardware store. Trouble is, they'll have a green spike. If you need tubes without a green spike, you may have a little trouble (unless Home Depot carries them). If you are near LA, check Bulbtronics, Acey Decey, Concept Lighting.

Hope this helps.
Matt Irwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2004, 06:25 PM   #4
Trustee

The bulb I would recommend is the GE SPX35. It has a color temperature that matches halogens and has the hightest CRI (color rendering index) in the industry. I've shot digital still and video in mixed lighting situations, and the color is a perfect match for halogens, and has a very even color response. You will probably want to seek out an electrical supplier, and will probably need to order a case quantity, although, some places will keep them in stock. These are a spec bulb, so they are not usually available in hardware stores.

what kind of bulb is currently installed? (sp30 and sp35 are typical these days)...if so, the upgrade to the SPX will be modest, but noticeable. You will also need to make sure that you have t-8 ballasts (common in commercial buildings, but not always).

Here's a link...look under starcoat HL, or ecolux bulbs...they also make it in a t5...but thats a pretty rare ballast in a commercial setting.

http://www.gelighting.com/na/specoem/linfluorescent.html

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2004, 06:29 PM   #5
Inner Circle

>Gints: You found 3200K tubes at Home Depot? With no green spike?

Matt, nope. The fellow was just asking for 3200K lamps, so I told 'em.
Old July 28th, 2004, 06:31 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Here's a cool link on fluorescent tubes from cinematography.com :
www.cinematography.com/docs/flo_tubes.asp
Old July 28th, 2004, 06:38 PM   #7
Trustee

Yes, good info... note that the CRI goes up with the color temperature...but beware the chroma 50 and chroma 75...while they may be good for looking at photos and proofing offset printing...they can be disturbingly bluish to live (and work) under.

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management