Light Stands Advices Needed... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old September 22nd, 2004, 01:45 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Light Stands Advices Needed...

Well, after some time I decided to make my own light stands. Ok, ok, not me, my father will make them. :) There's no way to find cheap used ones here, and my father can get all needed materials very, very cheap (I mean, there is a very thin line between free and cheap here). I did a search on the forum, but I haven't found nothing concrete about DIY stands.
They will be used for mounting "home depot" lights (oh yes, I learned a lot about that subject across this forum), fluorescents, gobos, gels, etc.
What I need is some advices... What YOU (experienced light ;) artists) would like to have on the light stands? What will make my life with them easier? And maximum height? Any other advices, clues?

thanx in advance for help...
cheers
Neboysha Nenadich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2004, 11:57 PM   #2
Major Player

You don't need real light stands to use with the Home Depot lights you mention. You would do better to build knock-offs of C-stands, rather than light stands, since they will easily hold those light weight lights, and you can use them for other jobs, like holding gobos, flags, etc when you are not using them with lights.

Look for pictures of C-stands at any site that deals with grip equipment. The usual height extends to eight feet.

Good luck
Wayne Orr, SOC
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2004, 04:57 AM   #3
Regular Crew

thanx for reply...

ok, I saw some pics... it is a stand with an attachable arm that can be moved around, right?
what about material, what do u think about aluminium (cause it is lightweight)?
any other thoughts about c-stands?
Neboysha Nenadich is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management