What light kit should I buy? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old October 19th, 2004, 04:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

What light kit should I buy?

I am looking to buy a 3 point light kit complete with barn doors, all the necessary cables, clamps, stands, and a case for everything. I have anywhere from $200-600. Can anyone recommend to me the best light kit I could buy with the above specs?
Many thanks.
Carlos Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2004, 10:46 PM   #2
Major Player

Hey Carlos,

My mainstay light kit is the LTM Pepper Full Spectrum Pak and it cost a bundle. Nearly $3,000 for five light heads, Mathews stands and all the goodies and it's nowhere near complete. I tell you this because your budget max of $600 is EXTREMELY low.

However, I discovered these really inexpensive fixtures made by a company named Britek. The only distributor I know of is Rostronics, but there may be others. The guy at Rostronics, Tom Rost is a really good guy and will go out of his way to make sure you get exactly what you want and will give you no hassle about returning something defective. I own a couple in addition to my Peppers and I couldn't be happier.

Anyway, here's what I suggest. Visit the DVXuser web site - this forum in particular:

http://www.dvxuser.com/cgi-bin/DVX2/YaBB.pl?board=lighting

Users there have discovered Britek lights in a big way and have negotiated a 5% discount with Rostronics. It's a good informative web site whether you own the Panny DVX100/A or not. See what the folks there think. I sure you'll find that most of them agree with me, that these lights are a fantastic deal for the money. They are NOT fresnels, but they ARE focusable and they all have really sturdy barndoors included.

If you decide to buy, then I suggest making up your own kit by starting here:

http://www.rostronics.com/products.asp?cat=27

My suggestion would be to scroll down to "Britek G-3000 300W Light" and add the "8' Air-Cushioned Light Stand" and the "32" Translucent Umbrella".

"Add to cart" and when your items list shows up, "Continue Shopping", which will take you back to where you started.

Scroll down to "600 Watt studio Light with barndoor", add "24 x 24 Softbox", "8' Air-Cushioned Light Stand" and "Extra 600W Bulb" (one bulb already comes with the head). Add to Cart>Continue Shopping and choose the same items again and add to your cart.

You should now have two 600W heads with softboxes, stands, etc. and one 300W head with stand and umbrella. When you go to "Checkout", there's an additional comments box, where you should type in that you also want one light-head case and one stand-bag. Tom will email you back to confirm total price etc., and you'll also have a chance to do it by phone, if you'd rather.

If you joined DVXuser.com (free) you can use the discount code for members (5%) also on the Checkout page. By my quick reckoning, this little kit should cost you about $570 complete.

I hope this wasn't too long and I hope you don't think I am talking down to you - the Rostronics site isn't the most user friendly, but Tom Rost sure is.
Jack Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2004, 12:57 PM   #3
Barry Wan Kenobi

100% agreed with everything Jack said.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2004, 01:17 AM   #4
DVX User

Dido on the new briteks... I have used them now for a good 6 months constantly and they are holding thier own. Specially the 600w.. its the perfect light.
Jarred Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2004, 11:54 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Just a thread resurrection bump. I've read a lot of positive and a couple negative reviews on the britek lights but I think for my purposes they'll be a good set of lights.

I'm following the light suggestion of Jack Barker but Rostronics no longer carry 8' air cushions. Curious if the 6' ones will work or if I should upgrade for only $8 more to the 8' heavy duty trimax stand? Anyone have one of those?
Jacob Ehrichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2004, 01:11 PM   #6
Major Player

Yeah, I just talked to Tom and he said they were all out of the 8' AC stands, which he had bought as a special order. He did say that he had some 10' AC stands at about $45, but that's awful tall. He also said he's trying to get more of the 8' AC stands (maybe in a month), but that they were likely to cost more than the originals.
Jack Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2004, 05:17 PM   #7
Regular Crew

So you think the 6' ACs are too short? I'm not sure of the differences between the AC and the Trimax stands.
Jacob Ehrichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2004, 10:57 PM   #8
Major Player

Yeah, sometimes you need to be up near the ceiling, so probably not less than 8'. The AC (air-cushioned) stands act like a piston because of a column of air inside each tube, which lets the tube above down slowly, rather than sliding down all at once and jamming your fingers and/or busting your light fixture. The regular stands should be OK, just remember to hold onto each tupe as you lower it. It's what most people order and you sure can't beat the price.
Jack Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management